Microsoft Wants You To Stop Touching Your Phone!!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Windows phones could soon learn a new trick from their Kinect cousins: the ability to see. Microsoft Research released a new video late last month that demonstrates the prototype "pre-touch sensing" system.

The idea is that you should be able to control apps, browse through content and adjust settings simply by gliding your fingers over the screen, without actually touching it.

Samsung’s Air View allows some of this functionality in select apps that they developed, while Sony had shown off a similar feature called Floating Touch in its Android 2.3-based Sola handset.

No word on when or if Microsoft will actually bring this very cool feature to market. Microsoft's smartphone line looks to be on its last legs, marking a decade-long decline for the company,

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Windows phones could soon learn a new trick from their Kinect cousins: the ability to see. Microsoft Research released a new video late last month that demonstrates the prototype "pre-touch sensing" system.

The idea is that you should be able to control apps, browse through content and adjust settings simply by gliding your fingers over the screen, without actually touching it.

Samsung’s Air View allows some of this functionality in select apps that they developed, while Sony had shown off a similar feature called Floating Touch in its Android 2.3-based Sola handset.

No word on when or if Microsoft will actually bring this very cool feature to market. Microsoft's smartphone line looks to be on its last legs, marking a decade-long decline for the company,
I don't know just how effective this could be. I would actually find it harder to not touch the screen but hold my finger close to it and control my fingers movements than to actually have my finger on the screen with the resistance that the screen provides to movement of my finger allowing me greater precision with regard to the movement. This was my observation with the Note pen as well, given it can operate now above the screen rather than touching it to provide additional benefits. I just think it's more gimmick, but perhaps leading to Innovative technology down the road.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know just how effective this could be. I would actually find it harder to not touch the screen but hold my finger close to it and control my fingers movements than to actually have my finger on the screen with the resistance that the screen provides to movement of my finger allowing me greater precision with regard to the movement. This was my observation with the Note pen as well, given it can operate now above the screen rather than touching it to provide additional benefits. I just think it's more gimmick, but perhaps leading to Innovative technology down the road.

Ever seen Ironman or any of those csi type shows? They use it on a larger scale though I'm not sure if it's really possible to do that YET. Remember today's science fiction is day after tomorrows outdated electronics.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ever seen Ironman or any of those csi type shows? They use it on a larger scale though I'm not sure if it's really possible to do that YET. Remember today's science fiction is day after tomorrows outdated electronics.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I agree in the case of larger movements such as the screens used in weather reports on TV for instance, but in the case of a small screen and manipulating even smaller images on that tiny screen I believe movement in free space is less precise.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree in the case of larger movements such as the screens used in weather reports on TV for instance, but in the case of a small screen and manipulating even smaller images on that tiny screen I believe movement in free space is less precise.

I have a feeling between this and Apples attempt at a holographic keyboard a 5" screen will be turned into something futuristic indeed

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><