Microsoft is Supposedly Investing in Cyanogen

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I
I'll be honest that I'd like to see a third major player because Android and ios are both bastardizing into 1 os where they only differentiate in the place your spend your money on apps, music, etc. Neither have anything new and fresh that isn't a clone of the other anymore.a

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
You just may. Looks like Sammy will enter with Tizen.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You just may. Looks like Sammy will enter with Tizen.
I like that best. A new direction instead of yet another clone of another.
I agree with FK about CM being a crap shoot. Basically decide what working feature(s) you no longer want then install the version of CM that breaks only that feature(s). It was the same with the old Windows Mobile hacks. You couldn't just get a vanilla rom with NOBODY'S bloatware installed that worked totally correctly.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I mean...I get where they're coming from to a certain extent...

But if it wasn't for Google, we wouldn't have android in the first place. Sure, Google bought into it, but they also breathed life into it and nurtured it into what it is today. That's my feeling on Cyanogen doing/saying what they have and will do.

As for Microsoft, maybe they should think about making their own OS better than the competitor instead of buying stock in a bastardized version of that same competitor's software.

Don't get me wrong, Cyanogen does some great things, and maybe I'm just a purist, but I'm not a fan of these moves or these claims.

I don't think the market can sustain this many different OS's. I get that this will, in essence, be android and run android apps, but now you've got Android, ios, Windows, Cyanogen, Samsung starting to push Tizen again...Sure, not a big deal for folks like us here on the forum. Heck, I'm sure many would be happy to buy a device running Cyanogen's software right out of the box, but for the average consumer that only recently got their first smartphone ever, I see the waters getting muddy and the choices getting confusing.
I would def buy a device running cyanogen out of the box. All of my devices normally end up running cyanogenmod. Unjust installed it on my note 3. Ibfind it better for devices that lack today's specs. In used to use it for performance reasons back in the day. I run it noe on my n3 because I wanted 5.0.2. This is one time I can say I'm very impressed with cyan and android. Great update. I also agree that without Google. Android wouldn't be where its at today. I believe that Microsoft will murder CyanogenMod.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422877453073.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1422877453073.png
    43 KB · Views: 288

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Imagine buying a phone, turning it on, and having it read, "Powered by Cyanogen". Talk about a slap in the face.
:eek:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Imagine buying a phone, turning it on, and having it read, "Powered by Cyanogen". Talk about a slap in the face.
:eek:
Or... "Powered by Microsoft"...

I think I just threw up a little.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm a PC guy, but my PC and my phone are separate creatures.)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would def buy a device running cyanogen out of the box. All of my devices normally end up running cyanogenmod.

That's a good point. ROM's extend the end-of-life. Although I don't flash like I used to, I've definitely put off upgrades thanks to custom roms to get the latest and optimize the hardware. But when the Turbo gets Lollipop, Android and the hardware aren't going to be of any concern for a long-time.

I still want root, though mainly so I can automate a daily reboot.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's a good point. ROM's extend the end-of-life. Although I don't flash like I used to, I've definitely put off upgrades thanks to custom roms to get the latest and optimize the hardware. But when the Turbo gets Lollipop, Android and the hardware aren't going to be of any concern for a long-time.

I still want root, though mainly so I can automate a daily reboot.
For me the automation of a daily reboot is something I've never considered but it would certainly be appealing. Practically the only other reason I would want to root (my main reason), is to be able to hack the Wireless Tether. Aside from that, virtually any other thing I want and know at this point that I could need can be obtained through either the OS as it is now, or through 3rd party apps on the Play Store.

Android has evolved to the point now where like you said, when Turbo gets Lollipop (or for that matter even now), I won't have any concern for a higher end phone or a higher end OS for quite a long time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Fox, never had a crackberry? We used to reboot at night just to free up ram.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Fox, never had a crackberry? We used to reboot at night just to free up ram.

No, never went to that side of the world...fruit on vines can be poisonous, and also never drank the fruit juice from the tree that bears the forbidden fruit either! LOL.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For me the automation of a daily reboot is something I've never considered but it would certainly be appealing.

For some reason it's needed. I used to do it on my other phones with locale, but a hard reboot requires root and the soft software boot doesn't seem to help.

Wifi tether would be nice. But the other thing I miss is Pure Messenger widget, but Google pretty much killed that when it locked down the Gmail and Email API's. Gee, one inbox that shows all your messages (incl. texts and voicemails, even twitter and facebook) - why hasn't Google or the OEM's thought of that?

I also preferred the old dialers. And mapping the hardware buttons to my liking. That's about my list of stuff I want root for.

krish.skt

Reaction score
Cyanogenmod is new w.r.t to a normal consumer, even though it have very flexible & customizable features but the flexibility cynogen offers is narrowly higher than that of Google's android.. It would be exaggeration if someone says google's android domination could be the end soon, trust me chances are low.

It is always good to have a customizable, user friendly & flexible OS. As android has done this in past by replacing the Giant "Symbian" just because android user has a very great user experience when compared to symbian.. and this is what cyanogenmod has to do now to replace android's share and this could not happen now in anyways as far as I'm concerned, at least with the present Cyanogenmod OS.

Let's hope cyanogenmod brings the best in future.. :)

Last edited: