[Rumor] Google is Developing Their Own Gaming Console based on Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus-q-glowing-blue.jpg

There's a crazy rumor floating around the Wall Street Journal offices that Google is working on their own Android gaming console & Android smartwatch to eventually take on Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and OUYA. The Android smartwatch idea isn't really much of a stretch to believe considering Google has been heavily plugging their wearable Google Glasses for some time now. Also, it wouldn't be surprising to see Google try to counter the rumored iWatch from Apple. However, the idea that Google would jump into the gaming console market at a time when we may be at the apex of the game console era seems a bit iffy.

Still, if you wander down this rabbit hole a bit further it starts to become plausible. If Google made a "game console" based upon Android, it would likely be a great deal more than just a game console. More than likely it would offer similar audio/video capabilities and unique gesture and voice control functions like the up-coming Xbox One. Of course, it would even include full Google TV support. Once you start to envision that product, you start to realize that Google's primary targets in this market wouldn't be Sony, Nintendo and OUYA (although those companies could be secondary casualties). Google would be trying to beat Apple to the living room and compete directly with Microsoft on another front. Here's a quote with some of the rumor's details,

Google Inc. is developing a videogame console and wristwatch powered by its Android operating system, according to people familiar with the matter, as the Internet company seeks to spread the software beyond smartphones and tablets.

With the game machine and digital watch, Google is hoping to combat similar devices that Apple Inc. may release in the future, according to the people.

This device would be similar to their failed Nexus Q home entertainment hub, yet would also integrate Google TV and Android gaming functions to become a truly all-in-one entertainment hub. This could also be a push to simply create more internet connected Android devices, with the purpose of filling out the Android ecosystem further. Here's another quote with further speculation from the source of this rumor,

Meanwhile, Google has been developing low-cost Android smartphones of its own with an eye toward offering them in developing markets, other people familiar with the matter have said, including in markets where Google plans to fund or help create next-generation wireless networks.

With the next release of Android this fall, Google is also moving more aggressively to use the software in additional kinds of devices, including laptops and appliances such as refrigerators.

If true, is this simply a case of Google over-reaching, or could we be seeing the beginning of a new "living room based" technology market arena battle?

Source: WSJ

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Knee-jerk reaction: I can count with the fingers on one hand Google's hardware successes (I expect other members to follow up with some fact-checking on that claim). IIRC, the story begins with the first Nexus phone, which Google hyped pretty hard -- especially the idea of cutting out the middleman during purchase -- and while it's far from a flop, it didn't come close to leaving an enduring mark. FWIW I think many of us are still in love with the concept of the Google phone, but the reality has fallen short. (Maybe the Moto X-phone will prove to be a new and improved chapter in that volume.) But I'd certainly count the Nexus 4 a success. The Google TV project, not so much.

The one far-and-away success I can spot is the Nexus 7 tablet, though the dearth of news on the 2nd gen is a bit disappointing. Hopefully something next week.

The real potential bright-spot -- the real *disruptive* device with the WOW-factor -- is Google's Glasses project. But that's still somewhere between vapor and reality (at what, $1500/pair?) so the jury is out until you can pick up a pair for $100 at your corner drugstore. My personal feeling is *everyone* and their grandma will be wearing and using them inside 5 years, but that's just a wild, hopeful guess.

So, to sum up: Google seems to like playing this Applesque game where they imply, "Hey, nobody has gotten this technology right. We're swooping in and fixing everything." But by device launch, what we often see is half-baked deals with the manufacturer, all kind of bugs and miscues during the launch, and then very spotty support and follow-up. I'd definitely throw the concept of the Google gaming system into that bin if it makes it to daylight.

Of course, I'm just reacting to a rumor, so that prediction is worth the paper on which it's written. ;)

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
^^^pretty much nailed it. But Google can't ignore the living room because of past failures. The Xbox could be the trojan horse that lets WinMo turn the tables. Google can't ignore that threat, but it's misleading to think Google seriously wants a piece of the gaming pie.

Asgard

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Google developing their own smartwatch, I tend to think (or maybe hope) that they will buy pebble and use that, because on the I/O, a couple of presenters were using pebble and it was even featured in some slides in the opening day.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google should concentrate of making sure their latest OS runs on most if not all devices, that should be their main concern, makes me laugh when they are talking about JB 4.3 and not even 4% of Android handsets run 4.2.2, just a complete joke, their OS is so fragmented it is beyond ridiculous. There is no reason people who spend good money on a handset should have to ROOT to get the latest updates "and most of those are flimsy most of the time".
At least Apple has the right idea in regards to their software and OS, everyone gets the same functions "no exceptions".
Yes I know it is a bit off topic, but Google is all over the place, Google Glass, Google ORB, Google Car, what is next, Google blow up doll.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At least Apple has the right idea in regards to their software and OS, everyone gets the same functions "no exceptions".

I don't know that I agree the consumer has a right, or is entitled, to software updates. Yeah, Google is turning them out faster than most, but it's not like MS gives people new versions of Windows or Office. Also, Apple owns and produces the IPhone whereas Google doesn't in most cases (where they do - the Nexus devices - they push updates).

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

While I agree on the fragmentation issue, the problem is not really fragmentation. Android is a commodity, and with most commodities, some are better than others. If you buy a phone with mediocre hardware specs, don't expect the latest and greatest OS on it. It's that simple.

And Apple announced that AirDrop, there new file sharing service, will not be available for the iPad 3, but only for iPad 4 and iPhone 5 (and new gen iPod). This is an update that I would use if I could, but my old and ancient 7 month old iPad 3 can't handle it.