Microsoft HoloLens Videos Show Off Fixed, Floating AR & VR HD Displays

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
netflix-on-hololens-demo.jpg

Here's a bit of off topic tech news for your Wednesday morning. It may not be Android related, but it's still pretty slick!

While the above acronym laden title is a nightmare to my editorial sensibilities, it is still quite accurate. A couple of amazing video demos have been shared for Microsoft's HoloLens technology. You can see the videos in the thread below.

Both videos show off the same thing, but in two different ways. The videos demonstrate that the HoloLens can create a virtual High Definition TV/Display. This virtual display is also AR (Augmented Reality) because it appears to float in the air inside of whatever room you are using the device. Not only that, but you can resize the display to over 100 inches (depending on the room size).

Furthermore, this VR/AR display can be pinned to a point in space so that it appears to be fixed. The display can then playback movies and TV shows, or you can even play video games on it. The first video shows off Netflix running on this faux TV monitor, and the second video shows off the user playing Halo 5 on it.

Both of these artificially created displays are completely interactive with pinch and gesture commands. For now, these are just video demo examples of the future possibilities of the HoloLens tech. We can't wait to see how quickly this comes to the retail market.

We do know that developer versions of the HoloLens will be coming out later next year, but will have a hefty $3,000 price tag for those willing to develop for it.

If you are curious, our SurfaceForums.net sister site has a Microsoft HoloLens forum for further discussion: Microsoft HoloLens Forum | Microsoft Surface Forums

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are those videos:

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
#Fail on the Halo video.
"Resize by.... " Dead....
lol
Perhaps you watched a different video than I did? I rewatched the Halo video several times and the only thing he does is move it around while it is playing the game. He never attempts to resize it... so how is there a #Fail?

Am I missing your point?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I did not watch it but once. Watching again, when he moves the screen, he dies.
#PlayerFail
Dude, wait til you've got some cover.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lmao! now I understand. I didn't realize in your post you were talking about an "in game" failure.

That's hilarious!

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Freaking facinating!

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
HoloLens is an awesome concept, but it still seems too slow and unresponsive for my tastes. Watching him miss the play button on Netflix and the "laggy" response time moving and adjusting windows just seems like it would feel clunky and awkward.

It's a step in the right direction though. Now that the technology is there, it's just a matter of making it more responsive and slimming it down so you're not having to wear a giant helmet on your face.