Microsoft: Android Phones Don't Get Updated, They are Buggy and Never Get Patched

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
googwindow.jpeg

"Statistically speaking, no Android phones get upgraded, none, ever. They have big bugs, they don't even get patched. That's what we're seeing statistically out there."

That's what Microsofts new head of Mobile, Terry Myerson, said to financial analysts at the Mobile World Congress on Wednesday. He didn't stop there. Myerson also said that Apple's habit of releasing software updates for current iPhones is really just a way to sell more hardware. An audience member noted that Apple releases software updates for current phones, and was asking if Microsoft would do the same thing. He didn't answer the question, but instead chose to slams the Cupertino company:

I think Apple ‑‑ you're right, you can download iOS 5 for iPhone 3Gs, and it won't be usable, but it's possible to install .... It's a great hardware sales tool as far as I can tell. Install this OS which makes your hardware unusably slow, so then you feel compelled to go back to the store and buy a new piece of hardware.

Mr Myers should think of getting a job in politics because on both counts, he couldn't be further from the truth. Android handsets are regularly updated, maybe not on the enthusiasts timeline of when they feel it's right, but nonetheless, the handsets are updated. The Droid X saw Froyo and Gingerbread. The list goes on and on. In regards to his assertions about Apple. Apple is known for its long term support of its devices. They are excellent in that aspect. Perhaps his failure to answer the question, is a reflection of where they are at in the development cycle of Windows 8 Apollo, and issues may arise with backwards compatibility in older Windows Phone handsets. We think Terry Myerson shouldn't be too quick to throw stones when he himself may be faced with the same scenario of older hardware not being able to run under the heavy demand of newer software.

Source:Business Insider

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the biggest downfall of android headsets vs apple or maybe even windows phone is the sheer number of them out there . even by same manufacturer they produce 2-5 phones a year for each carrier. so that does slow the updating process down by quite a lot. but we do get the updates. and with most of us being on big red i am willing to wager VZW slows updating process down as well. dont know..

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a hypocritical statement form Myers. If he would just look at the history of the company he works for, the entire last two decades that Microsoft has existed they have always built software that had to leave people with older hardware behind to some degree. Sure, they tried to give backwards compatibility, but its impossible to always include everyone and still progress forward. This has been the relationship between software and hardware for as long as it has existed, and it will likely always be that way.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No Android gets updated...wow...

A quick search on Google, Bing, and searching different Android forums would tell him otherwise.

I guess you have to exaggerate to try to make your competition look bad.

Yea....he is waaaaay off base about Android and Apple.

And really..no one at Microsoft should be talking about updates or new software requiring new hardware...look how long it took them to answer the iPhone with an updated OS. And didn't the hardware requirements go up for Vista and XP....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
When you can't beat them through competition, try to crap on them.

That's the motto Microsoft seems to take.

mmiillkkaa

Reaction score
1.5, 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.2, 2.3, 2.3.5, etc.

I'm sure android never gets updated... *end of sarcasm*

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Although I will say as a sysadmin, MS does release very regular updates to their desktop OSes, and the server platforms as well. But since their phone is basically an afterthought rather than a serious contender, who will take HIM seriously? I'm no phone geek myself (I have rooted/modded Tbolt and Droid 1, but that's the extent of it), but I personally know nobody who owns a Windows phone. And I know quite a few colleagues and friends with smartphones.

Next thing you know, RIM (BlackBerry) will be saying all Android phones look alike. Oh...wait... :D

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
When you can't beat them through competition, try to crap on them.

That's the motto Microsoft seems to take.

I was going to say apple does the same, but they litigate instead. Find some obscure, vague patent, then sue all the competition. What's my old saying again? When you can't innovate...litigate!

serum153

Reaction score
Maybe he used that terrible search engine called bing to do his research. He should have Googled it.

Sent from my GALAXY NEXUS using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Microsoft is worse than apple.

The thing about apple is that they at least release nice and useful products. As much as I hate them apple is great at what they do.

Windows sucks.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Although I will say as a sysadmin, MS does release very regular updates to their desktop OSes, and the server platforms as well. But since their phone is basically an afterthought rather than a serious contender, who will take HIM seriously? I'm no phone geek myself (I have rooted/modded Tbolt and Droid 1, but that's the extent of it), but I personally know nobody who owns a Windows phone. And I know quite a few colleagues and friends with smartphones.

Next thing you know, RIM (BlackBerry) will be saying all Android phones look alike. Oh...wait... :D

I agree they do patches and updates to their desktop OS nicely. Its the situation with the phone OS that makes his comments laughable. Yea...maybe he shoulda used Google to search...lol. Thats what kills me with some of these comments I see from CEO's, execs, etc. Its like that dont even know how to use a search engine.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Talk about a lying hypocrite...
I owned several Windows Mobile devices (PDA's), the last one an HTC Touch Pro phone that ceased being useful on the OG Droid drop day. dancedroid.

NOT ONE SINGLE ONE OF THEM EVER UPDATED THEIR OS! Several came with updated versions of Windows Mobile but when I took the older ones and tried to update them, they each said there was no updates available.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
What a hypocritical statement form Myers. If he would just look at the history of the company he works for, the entire last two decades that Microsoft has existed they have always built software that had to leave people with older hardware behind to some degree. Sure, they tried to give backwards compatibility, but its impossible to always include everyone and still progress forward. This has been the relationship between software and hardware for as long as it has existed, and it will likely always be that way.

Word. I remember all the hoops I had to jump through to continue running Red Alert and other Win98 games once I upgraded to XP, and it's beyond hopeless to run most of them on Vista. D

Do Microsoft and RIM really think that bashing Android and Apple is going to help them get any of the market share? If they keep this up both will eventually completely disappear from the mobile game.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I hate to say it, but I agree with him on Apple putting updates on phones that can't handle the software. I've seen it with the 3G and 3GS. the iPhone 4 will be next too when iOS 6 comes out. Just wait and see.