Microphone Problems Being Reported By Nexus 6P Users

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's that time of week again, GATE time! It seems that a new "gate" has popped up for the Nexus 6P just about every week since it shipped. First we had incredible hulk bending the device in half on camera, then we had a handful of people on reddit saying their back glass was randomly shattering, now some 6P users are reporting microphone problems on their devices. This could be related to the noise canceling mics.

I did have one instance where I called my wife and we did the whole "hello", "hello", "can you hear me", "are you there" back and forth thing. I could hear her nice and clear, but she could in now way hear me. I hung up and called her back which remedied the situation. I chalked it up to an issue with the hands free blue tooth system in her car. After reading about the issues others are having maybe there is more to it.

The Nexus 6P has many microphones which specifically block out surrounding noises giving better call quality. Some others are reporting that covering up the rear mic on the 6P fixed the issue for them. One user disabled noise cancellation completely via build.prop. Google is apparently investigating this issue.

via AndroidPolice

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Haven't heard anyone complain to me and I'm on a lot of calls.

I'm still not sold on volte yet.

boidsonly

Reaction score
I'm on the N6; I suffer from the same thing. Always assumed it was the "other" person I was talking to.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'm on the N6; I suffer from the same thing. Always assumed it was the "other" person I was talking to.

Does this happen frequently? Did you you have similar experiences with your last phone?

Just noticed you have a N6, is it not the Huwaei Nexus 6P?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Does this happen frequently? Did you you have similar experiences with your last phone?

Just noticed you have a N6, is it not the Huwaei Nexus 6P?
Nope. Two different devices. Motorola Nexus 6 and Huawei Nexus 6P.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Nope. Two different devices. Motorola Nexus 6 and Huawei Nexus 6P.

Yes they are, guess I could have worded that better. Sounds like Boidsonly has the Motorola N6 and not the Huwaei 6P. Just wanted to get a clarification.

I need a new phone and am torn between 6P, Note5 and V10. Heavily leaning toward 6P then see what Note 6 has to offer.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've not had any issues on the 6P!

boidsonly

Reaction score
I had no idea it was an issue all this time. When I tap "speaker", it takes forever for the sound to come through. When talking, voices fade or drop off. Most forums are blaming the noise suppression S/W. and the back mic. Hopefully it will get sorted.
I need a new phone and am torn between 6P, Note5 and V10. Heavily leaning toward 6P then see what Note 6 has to offer.
Personally, I don't think the 6P is enough of a step up to make me dump another $700. I went down to T-Mo and played with the V10. I'm torn on that one. Is it, isn't it....it is, it isn't kind of torn. The only real drawback is the already old 808 chip and 2016 is upon us...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Just had the issue. Turned off advanced calling and issue went away.