Messaging App Won't Transmit GMail IMAP -- Stuck in Outbox

Leesburg_Dave

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to Droid X and am getting VERY frustrated with the GMail setup with IMAP within the "Messaging" app. I have my PC's Outlook Client working fine with GMail IMAP so it appears that all is well on the GMail side. I want to use "Messaging" because it, unlike the "GMail" app, it more or less lets me choose a "profile" to send/receive from: (1) Corporate Sync, (2) Verizon or (3) GMail. I'd really rather not have to switch to another app for GMail and "Messaging" for everything else -- that just seems backward. I like the way "Messaging" works.

Anyhow, here's my problem:

IMAP sync works fine for all folders except Outbox.
When I compose a message in "Messaging" under my GMail IMAP "profile", it just sits in the outbox with the error message, "Gmail IMAP message not sent" (no other details). Futher, the message appears in outbox, and the only option I have is to delete it. No re-send, no open/edit, etc.

Here are the settings I have:
Incoming Server:
imap.gmail.com, port 993
[email protected]/password
Use Secure Connection (Checked)
Verify Certificate (Checked)

Outgoing Server:
smtp.gmail.com, port 465 (also tried 587)
[email protected]/password
Use Secure Connection (Checked)
Verify Certificate (Checked)

I tried the applications-all-gmail-clear data procedure but all that did was dump my GMail app (which is what I thought it would do), but did nothing for the "Messaging" app. Is there no way to use "Messaging" app for IMAP GMail? Am I stuck using only GMail or something else I have to download?

Thanks for your assistance!
David

OP
L

Leesburg_Dave

Reaction score
Fixed it!

After a long hold time at Verizon Customer Support, they finally got me straightenned out. After the tech had me remove the battery from the phone for about 10 seconds, then restart, SMTP started working again on "Messaging" using Verizon.net. Verizon.net (on FiOS) is:
POP3: mail.verizon.net, port 110, verify certificate (do NOT use secure connection)
SMTP: outgoing.verizon.net, port 587, Verify Certificate (again, no check in secure connection)
username: [email protected]
password: <Verizon FiOS password>

This configuration worked after remove/replace battery. However, GMail IMAP/SMTP was a little harder, but here's what happenned:

The tech told me to use these settings:
IMAP: imap.gmail.com, port 993, Secure, Verify Cert
SMTP: smtp.gmail.com, port 465, Secure, Verify Cert
username: [email protected]
password: <gmail password>

This worked sporatically at first. Then tech sent me to next tier of support. Next tier verified this information then had me re-activate the phone with *228 option 1. Following this, SMTP worked fine on both GMail and Verizon.net! Hope this helps someone else.

GeXX

Reaction score
Why are you using imap for gmail, when the phone has a built in gmail client?

OP
L

Leesburg_Dave

Reaction score
I want IMAP because I want the GMail profile on my Outlook 2010 client to have the same messages in it as my phone. I haven't experimented with the GMail app yet, but I might start using it if it has the same functionality as IMAP -- that is every message I send from my phone gets a copy in my Sent Mail on the GMail server and the sent mail on my Outlook client and vice-a-versa. I currently have my Verizon.com e-mail and my corporate e-mail set up to sync using "Messaging" and it's important to me to be able to select "who" I want to be to the recipient (a verizon.net sender, a gmail sender or a corporate sender). Messaging lets me do that by simply selecting either of the three, but also lets me look at all my messages at the same time if I need to hunt for something. I might in the future, change, to another client, but I've only had the phone for about a week and I'm up and running. If you have any suggestions on how to accomplish this with a better app, I'm all ears, because I've read some say that "Messaging" can be buggy -- perhaps that is what I was experiencing.

GeXX

Reaction score
Use the gmail client built into the phone for gmail. For your verizon email that is where you would use imap. When you send a email with the gmail client it will save a copy on the server, and use push. Are you using a exchange server w/ outlook? Or just regular imap? If you are not using a exchange server, I'd suggest checking out thunderbird, it has contact & calander sync, 2 things that gmail does not have with outlook unless you pay for google apps. For imap, if you don't like the built in client (I don't use imap anymore so I don't really know) but check out k9 mail.

If verizon only supports pop, I'd be switching fast, I am not a fan of pop, doubly so if it not encrypted (no ssl), that's kinda crazy that they don't use ssl.

Me personally, I would consolidate my email into 1 email, you can use gmail to grab mail from another email, and put it into a folder. I use touchdown for my exchange email, and use the gmail client for my personal & my personal business emails. I was using thunderbird & imap, but has of recently just use chrome & offline mode on my laptop.. Works great.

If you use the gmail client along with imap w/ outlook then you will have the same messages on both. imap & gmail are both just different ways of accessing the same items on the email server. Pop is another method. pop usually downloads the messages and then deletes them from the server, it is how email was done years ago, and is still done with cheap providers, that don't want to store the email on their server. Imap, exchange, & gmail all store your emails on the server, so you will have access to the same emails no matter what computer you are on.

I hope that helps. There are a ton of choices that would work for you. send me a PM if you have any problems, or other questions, I would be glad to help out.