Message Not Sent

jthorpe

Reaction score
I have an interesting issue. So whenever I open the text messaging app, as soon as I hit compose, I get a notification on the top that says "message not sent". If I click it, it brings me to a blank text and when I try to discard it, it goes away but the notification on the top always stays.

All of my messages are going out fine, and I'm receiving all messages fine, but this error keeps coming up no matter what I do. Anyone experience this might be able to provide some guidance? Thanks in advance....

PS - No handcent for me, and don't want it, thank you.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...That's a new one...Just gonna bump you up the list here, because I've only seen that message when I had no service...

mfleming

Reaction score
same exact thing happening to me idk whats going on i tried to reboot the phone and force close it but it keeps popping up :/

zz7goku

Reaction score
I recently started having this issue as well. Can't seem to find a solution anywhere. I've done everything everyone else has done here to try to fix the problem, but no luck. It started happening shortly after I had initially texted someone and it DID fail to send the message, and I discarded the message because it wasn't important. Now every time I open an existing thread or try to start a new one, the "Message not sent" notification pops up. If I "Select it to review it and try again" and I'm in an existing thread, it will change the 'To' field in that thread to be empty, though all messages sent and received in the thread will still exist (this does not delete or change the existing thread in any way, it just clears out who messages are being sent to in the thread). If I "Select it to review it and try again" and I'm not in any thread, it will bring up a blank thread as if you'd selected to compose a new message. In both occurrences, it will give the "Undelivered message. Unable to send this message." warning, and then put the "Message not sent" notification back up in the Notifications panel. If you keep selecting it, it will keep putting the notification back in the menu. If you clear all notifications, it will reappear anytime a thread is opened (really annoying when you are just receiving and checking a text). All texting operations (sending and receiving) seem to be working just fine. You CAN prevent it by going into your message settings and unchecking the “Display message notifications in status bar,” but then you also don’t get the useful notifications when you receive new texts…
Any help on a solution would be greatly appreciated. I’d rather not have to completely reboot my phone. Thanks.

vedwed

Reaction score
I get that message every few days while actually sending a text, but never when I havent sent one, and it always goes away when the message finally sends. I am using the stock messaging app. Funny thing is I know it's not because of no service because I will be receiving messages while it will not send one, and most of the time if I retype the message and send it will send fine, but the same message that errored will still not send, so I just delete it. Strange to say the least, and my Droid is only 3 days old, no ROM installed, but rooted since day one.

zz7goku

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a weird error. There is no issue with reception, as it continues to happen even when I'm not even trying to send or receive anything. Just simply going into a thread or selecting the error notification is enough to cause it to reoccur. I'm just as confused about it as anyone else.

intense21

Reaction score
having the same issue here

I just ignore it now, but it's still there keeps coming back like an bad ex-girlfriend.

geetarspaz

Reaction score
i have this problem. happened a lot with my first droid ALL the time. now with my new one its only happened about two times. i dont know why, i have great service. seems like its just something with the phone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm suspecting that the behavior is related to not clearing cache and data associated with the messaging app. I suspect that this happens when the data for the messaging app is corrupted and initiating the messaging app encounters the problem when it opens. The longer one goes without clearing out old data the more likely that there is a corrupted database.