"Message not sent"... Handcent is different

eaglescout1984

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X
So today I got the "message not sent" notification after ignoring a draft message and can't make it go away with Messenger (the stock SMS app). Now I know what you're thinking, "use the search tool there's already like 100 threads on this with the solution!" And you're right, there are.
But, the solution given is based on an older version of the Handcent SMS app, where you go to Menu>Menu Plus>Undelivered Messages. Problem is "Menu Plus" doesn't exist in the current version. So, does anyone know how to get to the undelivered messages (if possible anymore) or know of another SMS app that will allow me to delete the offending thread? Thanks!

File: Screen shot of present Handcent menu

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-06-22-59-26.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-06-22-59-26.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,404
P

promo87

Well, I haven't used the app "Handcent SMS" you are talking about but I still think if you feel like the application was performing the exact way previously and after the recent update menu plus disappeared then why don't you try clearing the cache and the data store by the application. Try heading over to Settings>application manager> Tap over the Handcent SMS all done ! :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Couple things. Is Handcent your default text application? If so try doing as described above but go to stock messaging app, instead of Handcent, and clear data/cache there if the described in post above does not work.
Be aware though, deleting data in either/both will delete all texts/mms on your phone so do a backup first if there are any important ones

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OP
E

eaglescout1984

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X
Okay, I don't think I was clear enough in my original post. I use the stock messenger app and I got an error that said "Message not sent" and if I click the notification, it just takes me to the messenger inbox. So I search online and on this forum for a solution. And the consensus was always: download the Handcent app, go to menu>menu plus>undelivered messages and delete the message there. And it works and the problem is solved. However these threads are all 2+ years old.

I downloaded the Handcent app. And tried to follow the instructions, but found the menu layout has changed. So now I'm not sure if I can even use that solution or I'm stuck with this annoying notification popping up every time I open my messages.

P

promo87

Okay, I don't think I was clear enough in my original post. I use the stock messenger app and I got an error that said "Message not sent" and if I click the notification, it just takes me to the messenger inbox. So I search online and on this forum for a solution. And the consensus was always: download the Handcent app, go to menu>menu plus>undelivered messages and delete the message there. And it works and the problem is solved. However these threads are all 2+ years old.

I downloaded the Handcent app. And tried to follow the instructions, but found the menu layout has changed. So now I'm not sure if I can even use that solution or I'm stuck with this annoying notification popping up every time I open my messages.

Well, if these threads are 2+years old then why I am seeing that this thread was created just yesterday ??? :eek: It seems way more weird to me !

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
To answer your question, yes the instructions should still work regardless of how many updates this app has had over the years. The same basic rules apply. As mountainbiker mentioned, go in and clear your cache and data. Also, if you use a third party messaging app, you'll always need to go into your stock messing app and disable notifications to keep from receiving duplicates and prevent any conflicts between the two. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

tap'n on my S5

bmiles2725

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
MotoX
Eaglescout, I'm having the same exact issue.

The problem is, with the current version of Handcent, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to view the "Undelivered Messages" to delete them as many people have done in the past to solve this problem. Handcent used to be the solution to delete these messages that the phone is continuously trying to send.

So our question is: What app can we use to view and delete the undelivered messages to fix this error? Clearing cache/data does not work.

Thanks!

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Clearing cache/data in your default Messaging app doesn't work? I'm thinking that SMS/MMS messages are also stored in the database elsewhere as well but will need to look, but make sure you cleared data for Messaging app and not Handcent since the issue occurs there.

Riff Raff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
So today I got the "message not sent" notification after ignoring a draft message and can't make it go away with Messenger (the stock SMS app). Now I know what you're thinking, "use the search tool there's already like 100 threads on this with the solution!" And you're right, there are.
But, the solution given is based on an older version of the Handcent SMS app, where you go to Menu>Menu Plus>Undelivered Messages. Problem is "Menu Plus" doesn't exist in the current version. So, does anyone know how to get to the undelivered messages (if possible anymore) or know of another SMS app that will allow me to delete the offending thread? Thanks!

File: Screen shot of present Handcent menu

Try this:
Open Handcent
Hit the three dots in the upper right corner, then select settings
Hit Send message settings
Scroll down to Delivery report
Toggle between Undelivered and Successfully delivered records
Trash any undelivered messages
Carry on.

OP
E

eaglescout1984

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X
As Riff Raff said, you have to do those steps now to open undelivered messages. More steps involved, but same end result.

P

promo87

Eaglescout, I'm having the same exact issue.

The problem is, with the current version of Handcent, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to view the "Undelivered Messages" to delete them as many people have done in the past to solve this problem. Handcent used to be the solution to delete these messages that the phone is continuously trying to send.

So our question is: What app can we use to view and delete the undelivered messages to fix this error? Clearing cache/data does not work.

Thanks!

Your post confirms that the problem is universal most of the users are experiencing the same problem. I would say why don't you guys try writing this directly to the developer of the application.

RickoLeSicko

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy SIII Tmobile
Try this:
Open Handcent
Hit the three dots in the upper right corner, then select settings
Hit Send message settings
Scroll down to Delivery report
Toggle between Undelivered and Successfully delivered records
Trash any undelivered messages
Carry on.

I started an account simply to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :D
That "message not sent" really pissed me off. I deleted as you said, no more issues.
I also uninstalled it since I don't need another messaging app.

Thanks for doing researching this for us. Much love.

AscendingOne

Reaction score
OMG YES YES YES! Thank you! I downloaded Handcent to try the 'old' Undelivered messages fix too and found that option wasn't there anymore. Thanks for poking around and figuring out its new hidden location and then posting this. That message was getting DAMN ANNOYING!

kelmobug

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
moto g
Thank you for helping fix this but it's not working for me! I tried all the suggestions and this error message just keeps on coming up! Once I delete the message (a blank "To:" field text) in handcent it comes right back up on the screen. It's driving nuts. Any advice, please!?

Riff Raff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Thank you for helping fix this but it's not working for me! I tried all the suggestions and this error message just keeps on coming up! Once I delete the message (a blank "To:" field text) in handcent it comes right back up on the screen. It's driving nuts. Any advice, please!?

Hello, I don't do much with troubleshooting because there are so many phones and ROMs. I use an HTC One M8 with CyanogenMod and the above pesky problem plagued me once until I used the method outlined.

You could try pulling your battery for a minute, rebooting, and try again. Or if you can't pull the battery (like I can't), simply reboot your telephone. Not a soft reboot but a regular one. Retry the above method- oh make sure that Handcent is your defaulted SMS app. Changes may not hold if Handcent is not in control. After all is fixed, you can keep it or switch back to your favorite messaging application.

Good luck, don't give up, and I hope this helps.