The SMS/MMS issues thread

Reaction score
Alright guys, in searching the forum, I've found sporadic threads detailing some of the SMS/MMS issues that occur with the Droid.

Let me tell you my current set up. Within a week of getting the phone, I became aware of Handcent SMS and ceased using the Messaging app, making sure to shut down notifications so I don't get double notifications for my messages. I have more or less stayed with Handcent all the way through, except for a one week trial of Chomp SMS just to see what it was about.

Whether the issue resides in the application or Verizon's network, I do not know, but I get the now-infamous complete text message delete anywhere from once every couple of weeks to sometimes over a month. I would say it's happened five or six times total. I've wised up to the point of having MyBackupPro do a nightly backup of SMS/MMS in the event I need to restore.

Other issues have included receiving messages from contacts sometimes three, four, five, even six times in succession. Others have mentioned having the same happen where my phone sends the same text three or four times to them in a matter of 15 seconds.

There have been periods where I flat out don't get any messages. I will be in a text convo, with my dad last night for instance, asking him if he wanted me to buy him a ticket to a sporting event. He never responded, but told me the next morning that he had texted back immediately.

I've been told that whenever I do any sort of modding on my phone, that is, anything involving sprecovery, and get to the point that the system is rebooted, my phone will send out the last text sent to 7 or 8 people (maybe even more, those are just the ones that told me about it) when the phone boots up.

More recently, the latest version of Handcent will not send or receive MMS messages, something that I'm assuming (and hoping) will be fixed in their next update.

I think the sum of these things sound a lot worse than it actually is. Messaging works smoothly 90% of the time, I'd say, but these issues do bring up some annoyances.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this, and if so, have you found any solutions?

I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts and experiences.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan here's what I think. When you do a text message it isn't necessarily the phone that's the problem. It could be in the system. I know when my brother was with AT&T he frequently didn't get my text. Wasn't my phones fault and he knew it too.

If you text a great deal you're going to see problems happen. I don't think it's the Droids fault, texting is a pretty basic feature for any phone.

Anyway, I'm old and I can't see why everything has got to be text. Use the darn phone and speak to your Dad. That way nothing gets missed. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey Dan here's what I think. When you do a text message it isn't necessarily the phone that's the problem. It could be in the system. I know when my brother was with AT&T he frequently didn't get my text. Wasn't my phones fault and he knew it too.

If you text a great deal you're going to see problems happen. I don't think it's the Droids fault, texting is a pretty basic feature for any phone.

Anyway, I'm old and I can't see why everything has got to be text. Use the darn phone and speak to your Dad. That way nothing gets missed. ;)

Oh, I'm a more frequent phone user than most people my age. I think in that situation, however, the professor of the class I was in might not have taken kindly to me dialing up dad in the middle of class. ;) I learned about the text issue when I called him afterwards.

Moral of the story, DON'T text during class. Perhaps I was being told something by virtue of the text not sending from there.

Kias

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my last phone too. A Samsung Juke. Some texts wouldn't go through. Some texts I'd receive 2 or 3 days later. Most of the time it'd work though. So I don't think its the phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D
Reaction score
Just had all my texts get deleted for probably the 8th or 9th time since getting the phone. Luckily I back up every night through MyBackupPro, but you'd think eventually the Android developers would get on top of this problem. I'm sure some people have lost some very important texts due to this glitch.

I wonder what causes it.

hdmann0262

Reaction score
I've had the problem twice...an error message comes up and tell me to go to a specific site for more information. The error wiped out about 3000 txts...obviously I'm not a happy camper. I called VZ and they said it is software issues that Motorola is working on and they will post me should there be any new updates in a fix....Not holding my breath, the last time they told me they'd be in touch with me within 48 hrs about a billing issue. So, 192 hrs later I called them to get my answer.

Motorola has a number to call for assisatance..800-734-5870

VZ says its software and we may to need to reboot the phones. that means losing all but what is saved on the memory card.

Dan, how do I back up the system so I don't lose my apps or texts? thanks for the help.

OP
D
Reaction score
I've had the problem twice...an error message comes up and tell me to go to a specific site for more information. The error wiped out about 3000 txts...obviously I'm not a happy camper. I called VZ and they said it is software issues that Motorola is working on and they will post me should there be any new updates in a fix....Not holding my breath, the last time they told me they'd be in touch with me within 48 hrs about a billing issue. So, 192 hrs later I called them to get my answer.

VZ says its software and we may to need to reboot the phones. that means losing all but what is saved on the memory card.

Dan, how do I back up the system so I don't lose my apps or texts? thanks for the help.

There's a number of apps available that do backups. I use MyBackupPro (available in the market) for mine. I schedule it to back up SMS and MMS every morning at 2 AM, and you can set it to either go on the SD card or online. I use their online backup. It's been useful so far.

hdmann0262

Reaction score

There's a number of apps available that do backups. I use MyBackupPro (available in the market) for mine. I schedule it to back up SMS and MMS every morning at 2 AM, and you can set it to either go on the SD card or online. I use their online backup. It's been useful so far.

Thanks Dan, I'll look into the different apps they have and pick one that best suits my needs..Regards, Bill