Memory lag problems...

cgrossman

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good app(s) to free up memory?

I've been using GO Task Manager which is pretty nice because it shows me what programs / processes are running and how much memory I'm using. The problem is as soon as I clean or kill the apps the memory goes back up. I'm on OS 4.01 and from my understanding this version doesn't let me change the boot apps, move apps to my SD card. The performance is so ridiculously slow with the response time to what I touch.

I guess I'm just really dissapointed in the performance of the phone. I have an 8G SD card so a total of 16G space and I have maybe 4G total used and it's just constantly slow. The response time for touching to type is about a one sec lag. See such a difference when I use my wife's iphone 4S but I won't tell her that :)

A check list or guide would be helpful.

KaChow

Reaction score
I normally skip out on these questions.... Because we can analyze and find what programs are running, then eliminate them, only to find new programs absorb more space and memory.

If you are unhappy with your phone it is because of the way you have it set up. That is you need CONTROL, that comes through Rooting it, and then you need to Unlock the bootloader, total control. Doing these two things opens your device to abilities that you never had before. In the past where there was a program you could disable it, sometimes a reboot that program would refunction and operate again. But answer this, when you first bought your phone it was becuase it was attractive, had the features, size, battery, memory that you wanted. When power it on, you had load your information thus personializing it. But then there was so much unnecessary stuff, verzion this... motorola that... you wanted not just customize the wallpaper, you wanted to remove the clock in the upper right hand corner, you wanted to change your buttons, maybe get rid of the back, home, history keys, you wanted to make your phone yours, not Motorola's, not Verizon's a complete change. And with that change you wanted to get rid of programs that you don't need forever, you wanted manage your settings to store them on your SD card. Furthermore, you wanted your phone to your phone.

In the present state of this question, and I am assuming the phone is unrooted, you can find several apps, that show you what processes are running and of course you can kill those apps, and may reappear after reboot as that's what happens. Or you can take control of your device, root it, unlock, maybe find a custom ROM that does not follow the same guidelines that Motorola/Verizon do. Instead there strip out all the bloatware, only load necessary applications, and then they through in extras so you can entirely recustomize your phone at no additional cost. You can still add all your favorite day to day programs and they fully-function. And you will find that you can eliminate those memory problems, while having a phone that can do anything it can within boundaries, complete to your personal preference and style. And you know what is nice, if another ROM comes along, you can get, make it the way you want it.

OP
C

cgrossman

Reaction score
If you are unhappy with your phone it is because of the way you have it set up
But answer this, when you first bought your phone it was becuase it was attractive, had the features, size, battery, memory that you wanted.
I'll start with these because they are good questions. Yes, it probably is the way I have it set up because...well I haven't really done anything to it. Why did I buy the phone, because I had an iPhone before and I didn't like how locked in I was to the phone. I couldn't expand the memory if needed, these are basically small computers and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't change or see the files and programs and what they were doing. My problem is I need education, and there is so much out there I don't know where to start. I've had my phone for about four or five months and it is basically stock, no changes, very little apps are on it. No I didn't buy it because it was shiny :) I wanted a phone that I could play around with and really customize, I just don't know where to start.

I've been dissatisfied with the phone so far because I haven't done anything to it, and it seems very very slow to me be based off the reviews I've read. Something isn't right. The stuff I want to do I can't. I see programs running in the background or starting up when I boot that shouldn't be and I can't switch it off. I have switched the display of memory and literally every 10 minutes my CPU is in the red. No virus or malware. Just to stiffle any assumptions, no I don't look or have anything on the phone that is inappropriate.

This is why I asked for a "check list" or guide. Your statement of make the phone yours... Yes that's what I want. There are so many crappy useless apps on the phone that are locked and I can't get rid of them. I don't care about the NFL app, Verizon apps, etc... let me take the crap off and have the stuff I want. I have a programming background. Phones are a little different beast. Very similar in ways to PC, but still they are different and I just really want a guide to work through that.

If that makes sense.

pdaniel219

Reaction score
For what it's worth, you can disable apps that you don't want with this phone. There is a list of apps out there that you can disable without problems. I just googled it and it was pretty easy to find. Seems like you can do this with most of them, the list is pretty long. I have 18 disabled myself, for the same reason you are talking about. I didn't need them and some of them just kept running. Settings > apps > all, and you will have the option to disable them. I apologize if you have already done this, it's just an idea and it's really simple. Good luck, I know it can get frustrating.

OP
C

cgrossman

Reaction score
Well what happened?

I rooted the phone which did very very well. I was able to take many of the programs that I did not like and that took a lot of the memory off the phone. Have been looking at some Roms. Still have lag issues every now and then but the super user access allows me to control things much better. I was able to stop many of the boot programs etc... I have a lot to learn about the capabilities of this phone.