Memory EXTREMELY Low

xgrinder911

Reaction score
does anyone ever have their ram more than 100mb?? I usually have mine at a consistent 50 n max of 100 but has anyone gotten it higher? Il have nothing running yet low memory n would like to see a big number in my free memory category for a change. Workaround? Is it MotoBlur?/:

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

brockeverly

Reaction score
Mine is just about the same. Even doing the v6 mod and using autokiller I am usually at max 95mb free. Can't wait for some ROMs, this thing is slower than my X was on Rubix.

OP
xgrinder911

xgrinder911

Reaction score
And for people who think "oh its better to have less ram available cause it takes up the same blah blah blah.." NO its actually better to have more ram, there are lots of things the phone can use that freed up ram for, I've done my research

rushmore

Reaction score
The DX2 apparently has a bad/poor memory allocation issue. 108mb is apparently allocated for the Tegra 2's gpu, but even considering 404mb, it does not add up. Go into the built-in task manager and add the OS, home UI, OS tasks, user apps and free ram- there is NOT 404mb and about 130mb is missing.

It gets worse from there, since if you go through the same process of adding up where the ram is, you will notice the ram slowly declines.

At start up when adding all used and free ram:

Total ram equals 260mb to 270mb (should equal at least 404mb)

After running for a few hours (and using the device) the total ram dips below 230mb (again, should be at least 404mb)

The missing operational ram is choking an otherwise great device. People are saying that using the Super V6 script helps, but that was designed for the 256mb Droid 1. That alone should tell folks there is a problem with the DX2's memory.

Running the script or not will result in a slow bleeding of usable ram. My average after about five hours use with or without the script was less than 40mb free ram and a total accounted for of 226mb- where is the other 178mb? I can not find it and the device performs like it is missing.

Last edited:
OP
xgrinder911

xgrinder911

Reaction score
Had the same problem on my droid 1
Im going to Verizon today and i think il try the dinc2 which has 712 I believe, will report later if its just the phone or all devices

brocja01

Reaction score
Did anyone download a memory usage application? Or did you use the built in memory application?

brocja01

Reaction score
Downloaded an application called Android Status, says I have 404 total memory, 333 is used and 70 is free. Looks about right to me. Not sure why it says 404 instead of 512 but, might have something to do with 100 being given to the CPus?

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Seriously if you guys know how the android OS works having low RAM isn't an issue. Just dont use junky task killers and go lawlsauce why is it working derp derp. You're going against the OS' own memory management, the OS keeps w/e apps you launched in the memory so it loads up faster etc. When needed the OS WILL close apps that aren't running to free up more RAM for the current task you wish to execute.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seriously if you guys know how the android OS works having low RAM isn't an issue. Just dont use junky task killers and go lawlsauce why is it working derp derp. You're going against the OS' own memory management, the OS keeps w/e apps you launched in the memory so it loads up faster etc. When needed the OS WILL close apps that aren't running to free up more RAM for the current task you wish to execute.

+1

No such animal as "low" RAM in android. If the x2 had a gig of RAM, it would be useless until after about a week of never rebooting, just sitting there, then it'd just be filled with page files and cache.

Personally I don't want a 500MB cache.

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
xgrinder911

xgrinder911

Reaction score
I know how android works but having only 40mb of free ram WILL SLOW THE PHONE DOWN the are other things the phone can use, say, 100mb for instead of just keeping apps running for quicker opening, der der. And then when you open a brand new heavy app for the first time it will slow your phone down cause it has to close apps to give you more memory, why don't you guys do your homework instead of just reading articles on sites..

Zetsumei

Reaction score
I know how android works but having only 40mb of free ram WILL SLOW THE PHONE DOWN the are other things the phone can use, say, 100mb for instead of just keeping apps running for quicker opening, der der. And then when you open a brand new heavy app for the first time it will slow your phone down cause it has to close apps to give you more memory, why don't you guys do your homework instead of just reading articles on sites..

I notice no delay, unless you're like oh noes 4th seconds instead of instantly. If yoyou already know, why ask? Mad +10 Pznerd.

OP
xgrinder911

xgrinder911

Reaction score
Delay and lag, now that I use supercharger and have 100mb ALWAYS free my phone never lags and never has delays

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Android OS is good at managing memory, but there are also tasks that take a great deal of memory. I would say if there is less than 80mb of free memory available, ones device may slow down and lag. I cannot believe that Moto put suck a low amount of Ram in a dual core device. Ram is a valuable resource that these manufacturers seem to forget about.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
just thought id throw this in

for comparison.
go launcher has widget called task manager. it shows avavilble memory. and will close down programs that are sitting in the background .
i have a g2x that has the tegra 2 with 512mb of ram. and with go launcher running with the weather live wallpaper.
and when i close the programs that are not being used. i get 207mb free , thats the ussually amount it shows when everything else is closed.
so the numbers for the droid 2 x shoudl be the same so i am thinking its the great motoblur thats eating the rest of your memory.
i havve had it show 245mb and even with need for speed running in the background i have 145mb free.
so i think the OP does have a point here something isnt right
g2x is on froyo 2.2.2 .
not trying to say anything about the droid x2 just thought this was a comparable device to compare to for you.