Media Dock - Screen Timeout

Istus

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've recently run into an annoying occurrence with my multimedia dock for the droid. Originally when I purchased the dock, and placed the phone in, it would switch to landscape mode and run the media dock screen. This screen would stay up and always show the time and weather. Since I am using this at work (ie: its not too bright for sleeping) this is my ideal behavior.

However, last week the screen began timing out according to the screen timeout option set for the phone. The phone does show that I am docked to my computer, it also charges while in the dock. I cannot however figure out when the screen times out now.

I've tried a battery pull, safe mode startup (though the docking application won't run in safe mode), uninstalling Handcent SMS which I installed last week, simply taping the power button to turn on the display but it continues to time out after that.

Are there any suggestions?

PS I love the community you've built here. I've read a lot of very useful information in my short time as a member.

EDIT: I should add that I also have the car dock and I do not see this timeout issue with it when I have it plugged into the vehicle power adapter. I also do not see this issue when the phone is plugged into the wall outlet. When connected directly to the computer via the micro USB cable, the screen does timeout.

Last edited:

mntbikejack

Reaction score
EDIT: I should add that I also have the car dock and I do not see this timeout issue with it when I have it plugged into the vehicle power adapter. I also do not see this issue when the phone is plugged into the wall outlet. When connected directly to the computer via the micro USB cable, the screen does timeout.

The USB port on computers does not supply enough amps for the Droid to stay on and keep the battery charged. You need to have it plugged into the wall in order for it it stay on.

OP
I

Istus

Reaction score
I understand that, however, initially when I purchased the dock ~2 weeks ago, the screen did not timeout. That said, that may very well be the reason for the timeout.

lazarus09

Reaction score
I was using the dock at work via my pc usb. Plugging into the wall solved the issue for me.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
I use my dock at work plugged into the usb on my monitor. I guess the monitor power supply also is tied into the usb ports. I have no problems doing it that way, in case you have usb ports on your monitor.

rbullard

Reaction score
Same Problem... no solution

The USB port on computers does not supply enough amps for the Droid to stay on and keep the battery charged. You need to have it plugged into the wall in order for it it stay on.

I have this same problem, and it doesn't matter whether the dock is plugged into a USB port, or a wall socket. Either way, the phone is charging fine and initially when first put into the dock it goes into dock mode and shows the flip clock. But after a few minutes it times out and switches to the digital clock that slowly moves around the screen. This is annoying and I can't find any way to change the timeout settings and turn off this behavior.

CStubing

Reaction score

I just got a Droid X and docking station too, and am having the same problem as the OP.

A USB 2.0 port can put out a max of 500 mA at 5v per spec, whereas the AC adapter that came with the droid does 850 mA. The docking station came with a little AC adapter with a USB port in it and it says 850 mA output on it.. I just tried that and now the screen stays on all the time when it's in the docking station, powered by that AC/USB adapter. The problem, of course, with that solution is that you aren't connecting to your computer unless you swap out cables. It's not a horrible solution, though, if you really just want to charge it and have it show the nice clock/weather/etc while it's on your desk.

The new USB 3.0 standard will raise the max output to 900 mA, so if someone really cares, they could either get a motherboard with on-board USB 3.0 (there are very few right now) or get a USB 3.0 PCI Express or similar expansion card.

Big Cam

Reaction score
The problem is with froyo 2.2

I've had a regualr droid for months and I've had the docking station just as long.

For the past 8 months I've used the droind in the dock plugged into a wall outlet at work. The screen never timed out, regardless of what I was or wasn't doing on the phone. The day I got the 2.2 update OTA, my phone times out in the dock and goes to the screen saver if on the dock screen, adn if I'm on the homescreen, the screen turns off.

The screen turning off is the biggest annotance for me and I still don't know how to fix it.

CStubing

Reaction score
The screen turning off is the biggest annotance for me and I still don't know how to fix it.

You need to supply it with more amperage... If you still have the power adapter that came with the dock -- the thing in the top-right corner of this pic:

DockBox.jpg

That outputs enough power (5v @ 850 mA) to charge the phone & leave the screen on per 2.2's rules, but of course you won't be connected to any computer, so you lose half the point of the dock...

I have a possible workaround, which is a special cable used for non-powered USB drives that actually plugs in to 2 USB ports for power and only actually uses one for data. I ordered one from Ebay the other day, and will report back if it works:

USB Power Adapter Y Cable - eBay (item 330419210516 end time Aug-27-10 16:33:41 PDT)

phydx2

Reaction score
I have the same problem as the OP and it's plugged into a power strip using the power adapter pictured in the top-right corder of the pic below...

You need to supply it with more amperage... If you still have the power adapter that came with the dock -- the thing in the top-right corner of this pic:

DockBox.jpg

That outputs enough power (5v @ 850 mA) to charge the phone & leave the screen on per 2.2's rules, but of course you won't be connected to any computer, so you lose half the point of the dock...

I have a possible workaround, which is a special cable used for non-powered USB drives that actually plugs in to 2 USB ports for power and only actually uses one for data. I ordered one from Ebay the other day, and will report back if it works:

USB Power Adapter Y Cable - eBay (item 330419210516 end time Aug-27-10 16:33:41 PDT)

CStubing

Reaction score
I have the same problem as the OP and it's plugged into a power strip using the power adapter pictured in the top-right corder of the pic below...

Hmm, that's a bummer. I had the problem when it was plugged in to a USB port on my computer, but it's been working right ever since I switched to that power adapter.

KFox

Reaction score
Same issue with adaptor and wall power

I am having the same issue since I ran the OA update a couple days ago where it was never a problem before. Now it goes to screensaver most of the time, but not consistantly. It seems like it might depend on what screen I'm in when I set it in the dock? I've looked for a new setting that may have come with the update but no luck.

First post by the way.. signed up now to see if I can fix this annoyance! I have enough of those anyway :)

Great forum - lots of wonderful people and information - thanks! dancedroid

Kat

dropseys

Reaction score
Same here. I am plugegd into the wall with Motoroal dock and never had a problem before. Now the screen is timing out to a black screen with the time and date slowly moving around the screen. I am at work and would like to have weather and larger clock visible while charging. What did they do? If it isn't broke don't fix it. Maybe the next part of 2.2 update that is supposed to come is a fix for this stuff.

jnestico

Reaction score
Same thing here, I am plugged into the motorola dock and have used it at work for about a year now. Just got the 2.2 update this morning and now the screen times out and I dont see a way to keep the display on in the settings.I've allready checked off "stay awake" but to no avail. I hope someone comes up with a fix for this soon,I use it at my desk at wok.

Diggs

Reaction score
This is really annoying. I like having the weather and the larger clock displayed when the phone is in the dock.

Diggs