Meaning of white signal/3g icons

Hobn

Reaction score
What does it mean when the 3g and signal icons are white? I usually see them after I boot up. I'm a bit curious about how to read the 3g icon too. Does the up arrow mean you are uploading data and the down arrow downloading?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Koveleski

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.kovdev.com
From another thread regarding the same question:

It's part of Android Gingerbread update.

When you see a colored icon for wifi, data and voice, it means that you are getting a fully connected Google experience on the phone.

If your data connection is unreliable, it will be the non-color version.

And yes, up is data going out. Down is data coming in.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thats weird, I thought it was colored for data network, and white for voice. Hence the reason that as soon as you make a phone call, the icons turn white.

Detonation

Reaction score
Thats weird, I thought it was colored for data network, and white for voice. Hence the reason that as soon as you make a phone call, the icons turn white.

Well it still makes sense - you can't use data while you're on a call, so won't be fully connected to Google anymore, thus it turns white.

Pacidermiz X

Reaction score
Liberty v.08 radio bug

The white network synbols mean there is no connection, but the interfaces are enabled (Wi-fi/3G). At least that's my explanation by deduction. So I think I have a real bug, and I'll hijack this thread in that direction if we could all do so. I followed the flashing directions to the letter. Twice. Both times, after about 24 hours, my symbols turn white and I can get no net sassifaction....
I can connect to my router- a sweet Buffalo running dd-wrt, and can see my DX from the router, but the phone will not fetch anything from the 'net. Not even google maps.
My 3G arrow points upstream, but then stops doing even that after awhile. So anybody have a clue? The official Liberty bug report sticky says to send in a log, but where to? The poster of the sticky? Anybody have some time to lend a hand?