Maxx screen question

duncan0553

Reaction score
I am new to the Maxx, picking it up Friday, and looking at the premo's it talks about the screen Made with Dupont™ KEVLAR® fiber and scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass being a hard screen and you not being able to leave fingerprints. My question is, do I need to get a screen protector?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Congrats on the new phone and welcome to the forum, you are going to get a bunch of answers voting for either way. It is going to come down to your personal preference after everyone's suggestions. I say YES, always YES. This glass is strong indeed but it breaks and scratches just like any other glass can and will. I use Steinheil protectors I find them to be the best, but again that is my opinion.

I always use a Ottorbox Commuter case as well since the screen protector does not cover the whole screen. The Ottorbox picks up where the screen protector leaves off. You are going to love the phone I am sure no matter what you choose. One of our very own MODS did a great thread on screen protectors, you can see if here if you would like.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/209560-screen-protectors.html

L
et us know if you need any other help.

neoterixx64

Reaction score
I had a thunderbolt before this phone. It also has the same gorilla screen. I had a protector and then removed because I liked the way it felt. I never had keys in the pocket and when I got the maxx I too went naked and then checked the tb and saw tiny micro abrasions like you really had to look for them. I use a screen protector now. Originally I had the Verizon one and now zagg maximum protection. Not the sides only front and back. I highly recommend at least a protector.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi and welcome to the forum!! The screen is corning gorilla glass. That's scratch resistant... not scratch proof. So i run protectors.. :)

The back of the phone is Kevlar..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I completely agree with everyone. In my opinion, there's no good reason not to have a screen protector. A good screen protector doesn't diminish the functionality of the screen whatsoever. These devices cost quite a bit of money, so why not spend a few more dollars to protect it?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I actually run a defender with a military shield on the screen. :hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Zagg for me, it's a bit "soft" and my finger doesn't slide as much as it does on the glass. It actually helps me when using swype to text/communicate, as without the Zagg, my fingers would slip all over the place, overshooting the letters and causing all kinds of mistypes. With the Zagg, my finger stops on a letter when I let up slightly on sideways pressure, so it increases accuracy for me.

As for scratches, well...ditto from above. As for protecting the sides and Kevlar back, I do run "naked" in the field (not me, the phone :blink:), and I actually prefer the look at feel of the phone with no case. It may suffer very minor scratches on the sides but I am VERY GENTLE with my phone, so I am not too concerned. The Kevlar back is another story. The back should resist scratching better than even the metal sides, since it will "give a little bit" (Supertramp), rather than suffering gouges.

That is all! :biggrin:

OP
duncan0553

duncan0553

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. I looked back over the old thread about screen protectors and got some good advise. I do have a question, I was able to find the Zagg website and the Steinheil website. I could not find a website for the defender with a military shield on the screen. Could you link a site or explain it to me a little better. Sorry for the lack of knowledge about them. Also I saw some folks say they used the ones from the verizon store. I am guessing that the other ones listed here are of better quality.

Also I am going to the Maxx from a Droid X first gen. On that phone I used a case that had a hard back cover and slid into a belt clip half case that covered the screen when together. Is there a case like this for the Maxx?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Otter box defender. Armor suit military shield screen protector.

You take the defender and remove the the standard plastic protector, use alcohol and dawn dish washing detergent to remove the adhesive, rinse and dry.

Apply the military shield to the screen, or zagg if you prefer. They're the same material, the difference is grip as FoxKat said.

Military shield is slicker, not textured, and a tick thicker, and is a little bit clearer.

Zagg, is slightly textured, more grippy. Your thumb won't slide quite as easily. My wife loves it... I hate it. That's why I run the military shield.

Zagg and military shield offer 99% screen protection, both are also available with a back cover too.

I'm at the beech whenever I can be, so total coverage is a must. Why?? SAND WILL KILL YOUR SCREEN.

Caesars

Reaction score
Exactly what 94 said, I personally didn't do my back with a Zagg, but that's because it doesn't leave my defender lol. Once I start doing the caseless thing ill probably add on the zagg back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
duncan0553

duncan0553

Reaction score
So I was able to locate a case like I had on my old X.... OEM Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX Shell Combo w/Holster &
Kickstand MOT912 ....If I use this case and want a smooth glass feel you think that the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield is the way to go?

Again thanks for the advise.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well like I said.. zagg is sticky.. think of running your finger over a racing tire, a cold one because a hot one your thumb would quite literally stick. But it doesn't show prints as much as the military shield.

The military shield armor suit allows your fingers to glide. But shows prints more than the zagg.

The armor suit has better coverage and a better cut at the top near the speaker port and front facing camera. This is better for protection. But we're talking about millimeters.

I personally like the military shield.

But others swear by the zagg.