Market will not download apps!

Dom

Reaction score
After rooting my Droid X I deleted some .apk's tending to remove most of the bloatware. But I guess I accidentally remove something so the market does not work properly. Well the issue is that I'm able to launch the market app but when I'm going to download any app it stays stuck at Starting Download and it never downloads. Thats the only issue with the phone but everything else works like a charm. I also attached a file that contains all the apps under /system/app. I see that I have 2 Downloadprovider.apk with one lower case d and the other capital D, not sure if that could be the problem but I tried removing the file with the (rm) command but no success. I have also tried multiple factory resets and still no go. If you can please post a link to download any root managers (.apk) to my desktop computer so I can install them on my phone will be appreciated. Here are some links that I been trying to troubleshoot this issue. Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable with root - Android Forums and also this link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62427-how-remove-bloatware.html

Attachments

• apps.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 591
  • Apps list.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 474
Reaction score
You need two things back on your phone to get it to work

Get gtalkservice.apk and talk.apk back on the phone and then reboot.
Problem solved?

Q

qoncept

+1. GTalk apparently handles logging in to Google services.

OP
D

Dom

Reaction score
Fixed! Market Download OK!

Get gtalkservice.apk and talk.apk back on the phone and then reboot.
Problem solved?

Thanks for the reply MiserableChimp! I had and re-installed (gtalkservice.apk and Talk.apk) them on the phone and still no downloads. I found the problem was that I had duplicate DownloadProvider.apk, one was lower case downloadProvider.apk and Capital case DownloadProvider.apk. So I remove the lower case one and it started to work again. I'm back in the game Thanks for the assist. I also uploaded a file with the commands I used.

C:\sdk\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
#cd /system/app
# cp /sdcard/gtalkservice.apk /system/app/gtalkservice.apk
cp /sdcard/gtalkservice.apk /system/app/gtalkservice.apk
# cp /sdcard/Talk.apk /system/app/Talk.apk
cp /sdcard/Talk.apk /system/app/Talk.apk
# rm downloadProvider.apk <== Problem file
# reboot
reboot

Attachments

• Installing apps on droid x.doc
    26 KB · Views: 613
Reaction score
Glad your all set

Glad it worked for ya ...now if someone would help me on my post that would be great...if you have root explorer could you get the need for speed demo out of your phone for me? It's in data/app

Q

qoncept

Probably not. People have dumped /system/app, and only because there are things there that will brick your phone if missing. This one game in /data/app isn't going to hurt anything if you delete it.

On the right of the page, scroll down until you see "Get it on mobile!" Apparently thats only the full version and not the demo, though.

Humpa

Reaction score
Probably not. People have dumped /system/app, and only because there are things there that will brick your phone if missing. This one game in /data/app isn't going to hurt anything if you delete it.

On the right of the page, scroll down until you see "Get it on mobile!" Apparently thats only the full version and not the demo, though.
I've done it. I assumed you posted the link because you went and looked. Well I went and looked and the Droid X is not supported.

Reaction score
wait..

So me deleting that game wont effect the phone when/if I do a factory reset (meaning it wont brick)

Q

qoncept

Right. Deleting most of the apks in /system/app won't either, but no one knows for sure which are safe.

dougivks

Reaction score
need for speed was "uninstallable" before root. shouldn't be a problem.

by that I mean you could uninstall it without being rooted.