Market Downloads

jcarder

Reaction score
I have a question about downloading apps from the Market on the Droid Bionic. I am a Droid user and have been for years, but have never seen this before.

I went to download a app. today and it said "Download size requires Wi-Fi", I have the unlimited data plan so why would I need to be connected to Wi-Fi to download an app.

I tried it on multiple apps and always the same thing, is there a setting I need to change?

Help would be appreciated.

Jamie

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the battery saver on. Go to settings, battery & data manager, data saver. Then uncheck data saver. If you click the exclamation next to the market,it describes what you're seeing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
J

jcarder

Reaction score
Thank you, that's exactly what it was.

Montaes

Reaction score
upgrade on apps would not download and was stuck with the dang "did not install" icon

thanks for your post. I was upgrading motoprint and the dang upgrade keep telling me I needed wifi or the upgrade would hang. your suggestion to turn off the data saver worked instantly, the upgrades went right into download mode. After searching and trying to get voice help , without success, you my man made it happen. so thanks. This "hit a wall" issue should be posted on data saver mode. :D

Sounds like you have the battery saver on. Go to settings, battery & data manager, data saver. Then uncheck data saver. If you click the exclamation next to the market,it describes what you're seeing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Montaes

Reaction score
My battery life sucks. any advice from RichStevenson? I use my device primarily for text and email. when I hotspot my computer I keep the charger connected, but I never get even a half / day battery life. I have never had a device where I had to charge after half a day>

RichStevenson

Reaction score
When you say charger you do mean the actual charger plugged into the wall, right? Not charging via USB? With everything this phone does the battery does take a hit. If you're not in 4G area or not using the phone in a manner where 4G would matter, you could drop to just 3G CDMA. Check for apps in the background that could be polling frequently. Weather apps, location services, etc. Turn off wireless if you're not using it, gps, etc.
Sorry I know that's not much help, but it's a good starting point.

Montaes

Reaction score
When you say charger you do mean the actual charger plugged into the wall, right? Not charging via USB? With everything this phone does the battery does take a hit. If you're not in 4G area or not using the phone in a manner where 4G would matter, you could drop to just 3G CDMA. Check for apps in the background that could be polling frequently. Weather apps, location services, etc. Turn off wireless if you're not using it, gps, etc.
Sorry I know that's not much help, but it's a good starting point.

Yes the charger is from an electrical source. I found out Running via an USB is a very very slow way to charge. I am in a 4G area, my wireless goes off after 15 min of no activity but I usually turn it off when I am finished with computer work. to check on running apps in the background, is this the correct path. settings>applications>running services? and if so what do I do with the list I find here, there are like 13 listed from data manager service to multi-touch keyboard? I am new with a smartphone and apps., so I am going to list what is here (sry for the ignorance) data manager, in pocket, settings, weather, backup assistant, google services, bluetoothDun, IM, sync service, Slacker, Preset, Gallery, Multi-touch keyboard. your help is highly appreciated. thx.

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Yes the charger is from an electrical source. I found out Running via an USB is a very very slow way to charge. I am in a 4G area, my wireless goes off after 15 min of no activity but I usually turn it off when I am finished with computer work. to check on running apps in the background, is this the correct path. settings>applications>running services? and if so what do I do with the list I find here, there are like 13 listed from data manager service to multi-touch keyboard? I am new with a smartphone and apps., so I am going to list what is here (sry for the ignorance) data manager, in pocket, settings, weather, backup assistant, google services, bluetoothDun, IM, sync service, Slacker, Preset, Gallery, Multi-touch keyboard. your help is highly appreciated. thx.

Yes that list is everything that is currently running. If that's all you have you're doing ok. If for example you install an app and it always runs in the background, you can add it to the Auto-end List from the Task Manager. I haven't used that myself though, and I know 3rd party task killers can cause problems with some apps, so be aware of that.