Maps navigation voice - any way to change it?

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Once you download and install Ivona and download the voice pack you want, go into your settings under Language and Input, then Text-to-speech output and select it as your default. Then any software that uses speech will use the voice you selected. And it's permanent until you change it. Now, keep in ind, Ivona is free until the Beta period is over and you will have to pay for it.
EDIT: Nvm figured it out

Last edited:

ice456789

Reaction score
The new voice sounds like an old lady trying to sound seductive. A little creepy if you ask me, but much more realistic than the OG.

My friend had a GPS device in his car that he could download voice packs for. His favorite was the Mr. T voice.

"In 300 yards, you better turn left FOOL."

"I pity the fool who doesn't turn right here!"

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
The new voice sounds like an old lady trying to sound seductive. A little creepy if you ask me, but much more realistic than the OG.

My friend had a GPS device in his car that he could download voice packs for. His favorite was the Mr. T voice.

"In 300 yards, you better turn left FOOL."

"I pity the fool who doesn't turn right here!"

That was TomTom. I had that one lol. As for alternative voice and voice engines, I use SVOX and use the Victoria British voice for my navigation.

kmo

Reaction score
Cannot get Ivona working on my Nexus, tried several times. Keeps pushing me back to "for voice-guided navigation you need to install text-to -speech support from the market". Takes me too the choose voice page where I already have made the download for the voice I wanted. What's up with this? Is it ICS or something I'm doing wrong here? Looks some of you have this app working, HELP please...:frown:

ShinyTop

Reaction score
Cannot get Ivona working on my Nexus, tried several times. Keeps pushing me back to "for voice-guided navigation you need to install text-to -speech support from the market". Takes me too the choose voice page where I already have made the download for the voice I wanted. What's up with this? Is it ICS or something I'm doing wrong here? Looks some of you have this app working, HELP please...:frown:

Exactly the same here.

kmo

Reaction score
So, are any of you who suggested Ivona actually using it? If so some help please.....still can't get it working on my GN. Thanks.

GoBears

Reaction score
I won't change it until a Yoda voice is ported. I absolutely loved that one on TomTom lol.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I won't change it until a Yoda voice is ported. I absolutely loved that one on TomTom lol.

Awesome! I forgot about Yoda! When I first got my Droid x, I searched forums for months for the Yoda voice! Pm me if you ever find it, and I'll do the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kmo

Reaction score
Hey I'd be happy to just get mine to change to another voice, whatever it is haha...

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

So, are any of you who suggested Ivona actually using it? If so some help please.....still can't get it working on my GN. Thanks.

This may be a silly question, but, did you download both apps?
Ivona Text-to-Speech HQ and your voice pack choice.

kmo

Reaction score
Yes, you have to have both for it to work....

GoBears

Reaction score
Awesome! I forgot about Yoda! When I first got my Droid x, I searched forums for months for the Yoda voice! Pm me if you ever find it, and I'll do the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

You got it :happy3:

hollowbox

Reaction score
It has always surprised me that alternate voices for google maps have not become popular and widespread in the market. It seems that someone could make a ton of money by creating a tts that offers alot of famous voices. Wish i had some skills.

tbever

Reaction score
On a similar topic, how do you get it to mute whatever music or podcasts that are playing when google nav voice kicks in for directions? Right now they are both at the same level. I can't recall if the OG would mute the sound for directions.

captdroid

Reaction score
I have been trying the Ivona. A couple FC's but it apparently then just reloads and continues to work. Ivona is beta and does work. After installing both the app and voice pack I selected the Ivona in TTS settings.