Maps - how to "save" a "place" ... work around.

rdalemercer

Reaction score
OK. I think one of the things that is missing from the MAP app is the ability to "save" the location that you have just searched for so you can go back to it later.

I save places like "work" or "home", but this app won't let you -- or will it?

Try this:
1. Navigate to Google on your PC (you MUST be signed into your Google Account)
2. See the top row of options on the top left edge of the main page?
3. Select "Maps"
4. Type in the address or name of the place that you want to find
5. Click "Search Maps"
6. A locator pin will appear at your "place"
7. LEFT click the locator pin and select "Save to my Maps"
8. Click the drop down box and select "Create a new map..."
NOTE 1: if your place name appears in the drop down list, use it, if not - type it in.
NOTE 2: In the LEFT panel there are some "privacy" options to consider. I always select "unlisted"
9. Click "Done"
10. Select the "My Maps" button at the top of the LEFT pane and your place name should appear.

Now - Go to your DROID:
a. Unlock the phone and select "maps"
b. Select the MENU button
c. Select the "Layers" button
d. Select the "More Layers" button
e. Select the "My Maps" button
f. Your "place" should appear in the list
g. Touch the place name on the map.
h. Select "Navigate"
i: Follow the directions...

RINSE and REPEAT for all of your other "places"

Maybe this will do until something more intuative comes out on the native phone that will allow us to save the locations that we seach for.

Hope this helps someone.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
actually if u dont clear the search t will auto save all locations. you can highlight search boxes hit the middle of d pad and a drop down list should appear

rfdillon

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this tip! There is so much that is undocumented about this phone! Speaking of that, does anyone know how I can remove layers? I made a search for a local establishment and would like to get rid of it now, but don't seem to find a way to do so. Thanks so much in advance!

rfdillon

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Narsil for your reply. I realize that, but I don't want some items in the layers list to show up. That's what I'm trying to remove - I should have expressed that better. I'd like to remove some items that show up in the layers list.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ah...that makes more sense and is a question for which I have no answer. I'd like some layers to disappear from that list.

kevin1016

Reaction score
Long press your home screen>click "shortcuts">click "directions">put in the address, name and pick an icon. Boom, click the icon you just created on your home page and it opens navigation and sends you off to your destination. I just use my whole right screen for destinations.

odoyle81

Reaction score
wow the destinations inside a folder is a great idea!! I just tried it and it is much faster than messing around with layers...

OP
R

rdalemercer

Reaction score
Thanks for the input - and added suggestions! I also like being able to use the "long homescreen press / shortcut / directions / save in the folder" method.

Is there a way to save it as a shortcut *from* the NAV app? I don't always have the exact address, so I will pick a point on the map and use that as the destination....but I haven't found a way to save/create a shortcut from the NAV app?