Maps for off cellular use?

stargazin

Reaction score
I have tried to Google this with no luck. I am looking for some maps for the GPS to use when I'm out of cell coverage. I live on the coast and have limited coverage on all Cellular networks. Though I did notice that my Droid X was able to monitor my speed and heading, and the screen moved and rotated keeping track of my driving progress; but there were no maps displayed because I lost cell reception. I have a stand alone Garmin Nuvi that I normally used untill I received my Droid, and even when out of cellular coverage, the Droid tracked my perfectly when compared to my Nuvi, except no maps! So is there a TomTom or other mapping software that can be installed for use when out of cellular coverage.

Thanks!

Jeffdancedroid

OP
stargazin

stargazin

Reaction score
I still have had no luck finding some installable maps for out of cellular use. There has to be something out there for this!? Hmmm I wish the Garmin phone was on the Verizon network, as ATT really does not have great reception on the coast!

techguru

Reaction score
I still have had no luck finding some installable maps for out of cellular use. There has to be something out there for this!? Hmmm I wish the Garmin phone was on the Verizon network, as ATT really does not have great reception on the coast!

Ndrive (it is in the market, has a 7 day trial of the maps) is OK. Not the best UI, doesn't speak road names, just turn distance and direction, and the maps and routing data are by TeleAtlas (TomTom) which is not as good as Navteq in cities, although pretty good in rural areas (Navteq is the provider in your Nuvi).

Probably a little more accurate in most areas than Google Navigation, although Google Navigation is constantly improving.

There is also CoPilot, which I believe is also based on TeleAtlas maps. No real free trial there, although as with any Android app, if returned in 24 hours, you get your money back. I haven't tried it, so can't comment on quality.

Personally, I am hoping that Garmin ports their NuviPhone software to a purchasable app. The current NuviPhone on T-Mobile is Android based, so it is not totally beyond reason to expect they might. They did port their Palm and Windows Mobile apps from the Que PDA's, although it appears they have now stopped selling that (I can't even download the Blackberry trial right now, so I think they are revamping their whole mobile software strategy).

Alan

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Give MapDroyd a try. No turn by turn directions, but it does display maps and where you are on them.

Tesler32

Reaction score
MotoNav is a great Navigation app by iGo I have it and it works very well doesnt need cell service but you have to download maps to your sd card.

OP
stargazin

stargazin

Reaction score
MotoNav is a great Navigation app by iGo I have it and it works very well doesnt need cell service but you have to download maps to your sd card.

Thanks for all the Info I will be looking at them all. Where do you get the maps. I think this phone with it's obvious shortcomings, that it has true GPS capability off cellular networks can make up for some of its failings.

Living in the rural coastal Oregon communities and driving routes here there are more places without service than with.

:blackdroid:

wcjeep

Reaction score
Living in the rural coastal Oregon communities and driving routes here there are more places without service than with.

:blackdroid:

Have you tried a cellphone booster? I have a 2watt system in my Jeep. 3watt system in my towrig. In the little Naches area in Washington St. I went from maybe 10% coverage to 85% coverage. Usually had 2 bars of 1x service. I was able to log on to check email where all others had zero coverage.

Newegg.com - Wilson Electronics 815226 Sleek Cell Phone Signal Cradle Booster

Cornholeo

Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing and will try Google earth when I get out of cell coverage. Has anyone tried this?