Map View - Will it rotate/turn with you?

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
So I recently got the car dock and have been using the maps more while in the car. One thing Ive noticed is that while in Map View it does not rotate or turn with you, North is always at the top. If you are navigating to a certain destination then it seems to work properly. Is there a way to make the maps rotate with the direction you are going w/o actually putting in an address and navigating? My Blackberry maps would turn as I turned a corner but I cant seem to get the Google Maps on Droid to do this.

Thanks.

I use this work around to make this happen: Press a spot just down the road for the route you want to take. Tap the bubble and navigate to it. When you drive past it, a message and some buttons ( something like, Exit Nav, New Navigation, etc.)come up telling you that you are there. Do nothing, touch nothing, keep driving. The map orientates with travel direction in the stand alone GPS type mode, but the buttons take up a little screen geography. :icon_ banana:

I will give this a go, thanks. I downloaded and app called compass & maps and while I don't know if it "navigates" or what ever the map does rotate as I stand in my house and walk around.

ronhawker

Reaction score
gps navigation

What I have noticed is that you drive right off the maps. Maybe it won't orient but it should at least keep your location on the map like most GPS units do. If they want to have both a maps mode like Mapquest and do GPS modes then have both modes available. But in GPS mode of a map the current location of the user should always be on the map when moving.