Map locations

6969earl

Reaction score
Let's say that while travelling on a trip a couple hundred miles from home, I pass an interesting location that I would like to make note of or "mark" to find later. Any ideas on how to mark these locations using the Droid "Navigation" or "Maps" while on the move (someone else is driving of course)?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Let's say that while travelling on a trip a couple hundred miles from home, I pass an interesting location that I would like to make note of or "mark" to find later. Any ideas on how to mark these locations using the Droid "Navigation" or "Maps" while on the move (someone else is driving of course)?

What you want is GPS Essentials. I use it all the time to mark waypoints (map pins), which can be saved and used as destinations again.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
What you want is GPS Essentials. I use it all the time to mark waypoints (map pins), which can be saved and used as destinations again.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Nice! Thanks!

The Contacts plugin looks good too.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nice! Thanks!

The Contacts plugin looks good too.

Yep! I love it and although it takes a tiny bit of getting used to, it integrates very well with the built-in Google Navigation and needless to say beats the pants off of Verizon's Navigator. And sorry, forgot to mention the contacts plug-in, but that's what I have you for!!

;)

Last edited:

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Easy, snap Pic on the fly... If you have geo tagging enabled, it plots the pix on your map automatically , lol, Type in all the waypoints you like but a picture is worth a thousand words!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could always just "check in" using most any social site anymore. Latitude (actually can be done via Google maps), Facebook etc...

----posted maxx'ed out----

SallyC

Reaction score
Yep! I love it and although it takes a tiny bit of getting used to, it integrates very well with the built-in Google Navigation and needless to say beats the pants off of Verizon's Navigator. And sorry, forgot to mention the contacts plug-in, but that's what I have you for!!

;)

I'm not seeing how it integrates with Google Navigation. Is there a way to use a waypoint created in GPS Essentials and see or use it in Google Navigation or Maps?

It seems to have some cool features but I wish it was using google for maps and to navigate. Maybe I'm missing it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not seeing how it integrates with Google Navigation. Is there a way to use a waypoint created in GPS Essentials and see or use it in Google Navigation or Maps?

It seems to have some cool features but I wish it was using google for maps and to navigate. Maybe I'm missing it.

Haven't used it in quite a while, but seems either the interface is gone or I have confused it with another app. I am stumped.

SallyC

Reaction score
Haven't used it in quite a while, but seems either the interface is gone or I have confused it with another app. I am stumped.

I've emailed the developer to see if there's some way to integrate it and also if there's a better manual than the app's help file.

I also found Waypoint Free/Pro which says: Waypoint is a waypoint manager that allows you to save and manage waypoints. Waypoints can be plotted on a map to access information about the waypoint or viewed in Google Maps to access directions, streetviews, or topographical map data if available."

I haven't downloaded it yet as I'm waiting back to hear from the GPS Essentials developer but if I'd found this first I probably would not have purchased the other one. I usually don't buy the app right away but for some reason I did so now I'm hoping there's more integration than I'm seeing. It looks powerful. But Waypoint looks really good and will perhaps fulfill the OP's need.

SallyC

Reaction score
GPS Essentials developer wrote me back already! He said:
The contacts plugin creates waypoints from your contacts. If you select "Find Contact" in map view, you select a single contact and GPS Essentials attempts to convert the postal address of this contact to a latitude and longitude. Depending on the format of your postal address this may or may not work very well.

GPS Essentials uses "Routes" to navigate. You create a route, then you activate it which gives you traveling instructions while you move. You can create a very simple "ad hoc" route when you select "Use as Target" on a waypoint which consists of this one waypoint. If you want to have more complex routes, you need to go the the route editor and add waypoints. As a convenience, you can also create a route in Google Maps and then send a link to your phone and import the route there.

This is not even coming close to what Google Navigation does for you, but GPS Essentials is not only working on street level, it is also used by sailors, pilots and all sorts of back country guys who don't have roads.

There is a manual, follow the download link on http://www.gpsessentials.com and check the "Getting Started Guide".

EDIT: You can get to the map via the link he provided, but it's not as easy to spot as it should be. The app is really quite powerful and for some people might be much better than what the OP was asking for. FWIW, you can Download or View the manual using those links and it's worth taking a look at if you are evaluating mapping apps.

It may be more than I need, I'm still looking it over, but it's definitely much more than just adding waypoints on a map.

Last edited: