Managing Files

izzysmom

Reaction score
Hello all! Just upgraded from an LG EnV Touch to the ALLY (my 1st smartphone) so I'm doing a lot of reading etc. I'm quite tech friendly, but by no means a geek (Though I hope to be someday...)
And truth be told...I just HATE the learning curve period on a new phone. I want to know IT ALL...NOW!

I have figured out how to save a ringtone that I sent myself from phonezoo to my SD card...but now how do I get the android software to find/recognize it so that I can use it?

I created folders & dragged files into them by putting the SD card in a reader via my PC and I can access them...but not sure how to find this file that I saved from the phone directly to the card. Do I have to manage my files strictly thru the PC or is there a built in file manager type thing? (Or perhaps I need to visit the Market -- and if so...does anyone LOVE the aoo they've chosen?)

OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
c'mon now...116 views...and not a single reply or idea?

iWordplay

Reaction score
Kinda late but, have you tried astro file manager? Place files in a folder named ringtones under folder name media.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I prefer Estrongs File Manager (or ES File Manager).

If its an .mp3 file, you can do it straight from the music player. Music Player, open up Library, and when the file you want as your ringtone pops up, longpress on it and a "set as ringtone" will pop up.

Otherwise, its under Settings > Sound > (Incoming Calls) Phone Ringtone > Choose what you want.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what type of file are ringtones from phonezoo?

Tip: Use Ringdroid to create your OWN ringtones from any song/sound you want!

http://www.appbrain.com/browse/dev/Ringdroid+Team
ringdroidqrcode.jpg

If you have a barcode scanner on your phone you can scan the above code to go directly to the Android Market to download it.

Last edited:
OP
I

izzysmom

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what type of file are ringtones from phonezoo?

Tip: Use Ringdroid to create your OWN ringtones from any song/sound you want!

ringdroidqrcode.jpg

If you have a barcode scanner on your phone you can scan the above code to go directly to the Android Market to download it.

I'm not 100% sure what the format is...I know that you have the option of saving them to your pc - which I assume puts them in some form of mp format - or you can send them directly to your phone. You need to list your carrier & your phone model - and then it gives u instrutions for that particular phone/carrier. On my old phone I know it always came over as a text message with sound attached and then I could save as a ringtone from there. I dont remember how it comes over on my current phone. Haven't done one in a while -- but it's easy. And I can say that in 2 years of use, I've never gotten junkmail from them...always a plus!