Man.. wish i woulda rooted.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting does this to your phone....................NOTHING.

Rooting only allows you to do things to your phone.

You can root, not do a thing and still get all the updates that Verizon/Motorola push, etc.....(you'll lose root though).

Rooting does nothing to your phone except give you ability/access/permission to your systems files.

Now...once you are rooted you can do things that get you in trouble....but rooting doesn't do anything to your phone as the way it sits right now as far a ROM, Kernal, OTA support, etc...

All true. Except, of course, for the fact that assuming root privileges enables a user to remove the operating system. Not necessarily an insignificant issue.

wil318466

Reaction score
Look, I consult on enterprise level technology decisions for a living. If a customer asked me whether he should root his phone to enable wireless wifi tethering, for example, I would strongly advise against it unless it didn't matter whether it worked or not. Likewise, if a customer asked if he/she should allow his/her employees to overclock their Droids to improve performance I'd advise against it. Just as I'd advise a client using pirated Microsoft Office software to get rid of it.

In each case, these actions involve both legal and technical risks, not to mention increased costs to monitor, track, and fix problems. None of these factors impact the average hacker. They all impact a user for whom time is money and risk mitigation is important.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. What does this have to do with root? If you root your phone, you can unroot it if a situation occurs where you need developer support. There are roms out there that have zero support, I mean, look at Adamz roms for a few months there when he dissapeared. He was completely MIA and it didn't matter as far as functionality was concerned for all his users. Not one bit. What did rooting have to do with any applications we were using?

There are thousands of people with "issues" but there are plenty of them with unrooted phones also. Most issues are found and addressed right away.

Your examples above are completely right, but you are in a much different situation. If I worked for a company and they issued my Droid to me for email and work purposes, I wouldn't even THINK about rooting it. But that isn't MY device. Just like I wouldn't put new speakers into a company car. But I sure as hell would in my car, and I sure would with my phone.

The point I'm making is that I wouldn't want someone to read your post and think they shouldn't root. I rely on my phone, I use it to log into my work email if needed, my office phone forwards to my Droid. I use it for multiple purposes, and never once has rooting ever cause one issue with email or web browsing, the two things I *need* for work.

Bottom line is rooting has been nothing but a way to get more options. As long as the device belongs to you, go for it. You can always revert back if needed.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why is this still being debated? jsh1120 explained it perfectly.

Some people don't need or want manual transmission, they want the simplicity of automatic. It doesn't make them wrong or right, it's just a preference. If you want root, then do it, if you don't, then don't.

wil318466

Reaction score
Why is this still being debated? jsh1120 explained it perfectly.

Some people don't need or want manual transmission, they want the simplicity of automatic. It doesn't make them wrong or right, it's just a preference. If you want root, then do it, if you don't, then don't.

Relax bro, no one is talking to you. If you don't like the conversation we're having, don't read it, but don't come here and tell me what to talk or not talk about.

The original OP said:
"no excuse whatsoever... I kinda feel stupid but, I always thought I would."

and the type of replies he got were:
"tech enthusiasts who can fix crap when it stops working. "

and

"If, on the other hand, your Droid is an essential tool for activities like, you know, your job or, you know, your life, the downside of rooting is that you tie yourself to a development path that is unsupported except by a small and shifting group of hobbyists. "

which, if he read, could discourage him from rooting. There is no downside to root. Sure, if you don't own it, yeah, but that's an exception.

I don't look at my phone as a "toy", and I don't think many people think of their #1 telecommunications device as being a "toy". It's not a toy, it's essential to me and I make sure it's in premium condition. And it is, much more so than a stock phone is now.

Does that pass your test of this being debatable or not?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The root/ non root argument shouldnt be one. You, the individual, paid x amount of bucks for your device. Do what you want with it. We have countless amount of resources to get you rooted if you want. You can root just for o/c and keep stock rom (I do). But if you use your device for business and do not care to chase and keep up with new roms and tweaks. The do not root. Some people do not care about updates unless it is sent from vzw, and to them its an ...oooh ok moment. Others treat updates like christmas.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Relax bro, no one is talking to you. If you don't like the conversation we're having, don't read it, but don't come here and tell me what to talk or not talk about.
Pot? Kettle.

Relax -- everyone on this site can join in with any thread. It's not limited to discussions between you and jsh1120. If you want a private convo then take it to PM.

And regardless of whatever anecdotal evidence you want to bring to the table, the decision to root is still a judgment call that each person needs to make. Just because you don't see any potential risks doesn't mean that others don't.

Last edited:
R

Romple

This is so silly. Rooting does nothing, you know that. Just lets you do other stuff. It's that other stuff that some people like doing and some people don't care about. I have rooted and am back to stock 2.1, just patiently waiting for stock FroYo.

I don't want to overclock because I've found no need to. I don't want custom themes because I'm happy with just using Helix1. Blah blah blah. I have Linux at home, am a programmer and electrical engineer, work with embedded systems, have the ability and savvy to root and troubleshoot problems. But it's just not a necessity and I have enough other toys to play with that I don't mind breaking.

So am I wrong to not root? According to some people I am. Which is absolutely crazy.

Just as an analogy. I went from a super-modded, nothing left to stock, 2003 Subaru sitting at over 450 awhp pushing low 11s on a track to a bone stock 2010 STi. And it feels great to not wake up wondering if the car/device you love that you mod the **** out of is going to work that day.

Seriously you know you mod a lot when you hit a point where you truly appreciate something that's bone stock.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The original OP said:

and

"If, on the other hand, your Droid is an essential tool for activities like, you know, your job or, you know, your life, the downside of rooting is that you tie yourself to a development path that is unsupported except by a small and shifting group of hobbyists. "

which, if he read, could discourage him from rooting. There is no downside to root. Sure, if you don't own it, yeah, but that's an exception.

I don't look at my phone as a "toy", and I don't think many people think of their #1 telecommunications device as being a "toy". It's not a toy, it's essential to me and I make sure it's in premium condition. And it is, much more so than a stock phone is now.

Sorry, but the fact of the matter is there are obvious "downsides to root." The fact that you're willing to put out the effort to compensate for them and are willing to run the risks associated with them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I truly don't care whether anyone decides to root their phones and install custom roms. They should, however, understand the risks they run for the benefits they gain. That has nothing to do with "discouraging" anyone from doing anything; it's simply a recognition that a well-informed consumer is preferable to an ignorant one.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As has been mentioned on previous similar threads, the biggest downside to rooting my phone is that it takes away time I could be rooting my wife.

:eek:

wil318466

Reaction score
Pot? Kettle.

Relax -- everyone on this site can join in with any thread. It's not limited to discussions between you and jsh1120. If you want a private convo then take it to PM.

And regardless of whatever anecdotal evidence you want to bring to the table, the decision to root is still a judgment call that each person needs to make. Just because you don't see any potential risks doesn't mean that others don't.

Oh, I'm not telling him to join the thread, but for him to butt in and tell someone to not talk about something is utterly ridiculous. By no means am I saying he shouldn't join in. It's not a private convo at all.

wil318466

Reaction score

The original OP said:

and

Sorry, but the fact of the matter is there are obvious "downsides to root." The fact that you're willing to put out the effort to compensate for them and are willing to run the risks associated with them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I truly don't care whether anyone decides to root their phones and install custom roms. They should, however, understand the risks they run for the benefits they gain. That has nothing to do with "discouraging" anyone from doing anything; it's simply a recognition that a well-informed consumer is preferable to an ignorant one.

I guess we simply disagree then. What you perceive as a downside is negligible in my opinion. But as you say, I care little if people do it or not, really.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not telling him to join the thread, but for him to butt in and tell someone to not talk about something is utterly ridiculous. By no means am I saying he shouldn't join in. It's not a private convo at all.

I dont recall telling anyone not to talk. I asked why the discussion was still being debated, despite well stated, conversation ending arguments. Rooting or not rooting is a personal choice, there is no right answer, though you seem to think there is....

You, however, told me to butt out. Which would be exactly what you're excoriating me for doing....

wil318466

Reaction score

I dont recall telling anyone not to talk. I asked why the discussion was still being debated, despite well stated, conversation ending arguments. Rooting or not rooting is a personal choice, there is no right answer, though you seem to think there is....

You, however, told me to butt out. Which would be exactly what you're excoriating me for doing....

Because you asked "why is this still being debated? he made it perfectly clear", meaning I shouldn't have the opinion I have.

1) it's being debated because we disagree.
2) it's not "perfectly clear" at all

If you can do something and then undo it, I don't see a downside. Period.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have to jump in here not to flame the fire but to add some input.

When you decide to alter a product from the way the manufacturer intended it to be then there are risks. To some those risks maybe minimal to others they are too great. Rooting is a person decision. I have advised several people to do their homework when it comes to Rooting. Decide what you want your phone to do and if it can't do it stock then will it do what you want when it is rooted. Yes you can most of the time revert back to stock but there is a risk that if something goes terribly wrong you will not be able to. Then you face the wrath of Big Red saying that you will not get a replacement. This can be a financial risk that is too great to some and minimal to others. Again, rooting is a personal choice. I say to all that have not rooted but are considering it, to read, read, read. Knowledge is your best defense. Know all the pros and cons. Know that there are risks and decide if those risks are acceptable to you. Then and only then should you decide to root or not!!.

Okay, now you all can flame again.................