Make your GingerBread or Froyo Device Look and Feel like ICS with Holo Launcher!

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Really, its an early vs of go...its not bad but wtf is up wiff the goofy app drawer icon? Why not make it match the rest? And the screen preview sucks. At least do something like stock RAZR preview. All launchers seem to share the same preview anymore, which has really gotten old and lame.

sent from a RAZR on a Harley!

armeddroid

Reaction score
It's alright. Still has lag. Issues bringing up the app drawer. It needs something to stand above the rest.
Go Launcher still top dog IMO.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
So....you installed a new homescreen launcher and you magically expected it to be set up already? This isn't possible.

I didn't expect magic, I didn't expect it to be already setup.....I didn't expect it to disappear all my folders, apps, gadgets, etc.

I've got lots of computers (and a smart phone is nothing more than a small computer) which I change themes on occasionally and they've never disappeared all my folders, programs, everything.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I didn't expect magic, I didn't expect it to be already setup.....I didn't expect it to disappear all my folders, apps, gadgets, etc.

I've got lots of computers (and a smart phone is nothing more than a small computer) which I change themes on occasionally and they've never disappeared all my folders, programs, everything.

As much as it may have been disappointing and a surprise, when a new launcher is installed it is almost always a completely new home page layout, usually showing you what the page "can look like" with a small selection of apps, tools, etc, but almost never a duplication of your existing home page layout. There is an app called Desk Migrate which claims to be able to backup and then duplicate your existing desktop layout onto a new launcher. It has relatively good reviews, 4 stars out of 5, but I've never tried it myself.

In closing, don't be so harsh on the Dev of the launcher simply because it looks different than what you're used to. The fact is, it's made to look different, otherwise why would anybody download and use it? :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Really, its an early vs of go...its not bad but wtf is up wiff the goofy app drawer icon? Why not make it match the rest? And the screen preview sucks. At least do something like stock RAZR preview. All launchers seem to share the same preview anymore, which has really gotten old and lame.

sent from a RAZR on a Harley!

By the goofy app drawer icon, do you mean the circle with the 6 squares (intended to represent the app icons in an tile layout)? If so, that's the Stock ICS App Drawer button, so it fits perfectly with the theme.

See below:

View attachment 51016

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/i...H4Vj8nBuMLPugMWLwSlwk0d0Ram7Dh2EOj4g6dyXrEjTI

Last edited:

SteveIrv

Reaction score
As much as it may have been disappointing and a surprise, when a new launcher is installed it is almost always a completely new home page layout, usually showing you what the page "can look like" with a small selection of apps, tools, etc, but almost never a duplication of your existing home page layout. There is an app called Desk Migrate which claims to be able to backup and then duplicate your existing desktop layout onto a new launcher. It has relatively good reviews, 4 stars out of 5, but I've never tried it myself.

I didn't expect it to duplcate my desktop, but the layout...yes I did. If I had a folder on a desktop called "Utilties", no matter what launcher I installed...that foldler should still show up. With the new icon probably, but it should be there.

Thanks for the hint on the migration tool.

In closing, don't be so harsh on the Dev of the launcher simply because it looks different than what you're used to. The fact is, it's made to look different, otherwise why would anybody download and use it? :biggrin:

I wasn't being harsh......I only said I didn't have the time to spend hours setting my phone back up so I uninstalled the app. I didn't criticize it in any other way.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
There is an app called Desk Migrate which claims to be able to backup and then duplicate your existing desktop layout onto a new launcher. It has relatively good reviews, 4 stars out of 5, but I've never tried it myself.

Tried it and it didn't do a thing......which is what some of the app's reviewers had said. For some people it worked, for some it didn't. In my case it did nothing at all. Thanks anyway.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I didn't expect it to duplcate my desktop, but the layout...yes I did. If I had a folder on a desktop called "Utilties", no matter what launcher I installed...that foldler should still show up. With the new icon probably, but it should be there.

Thanks for the hint on the migration tool.

I wasn't being harsh......I only said I didn't have the time to spend hours setting my phone back up so I uninstalled the app. I didn't criticize it in any other way.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the folders. This is helpful for others who might be considering this and other launchers as well.

I'm not really sure why the folders will appear with some launchers and not with others, but I imagine it has something to do with how they are create and or stored. I'll have to run some tests myself to see this happen and maybe can figure out why. I haven't personally used folders on my home screen so that's the reason why wouldn't have recognized this as an issue.

I also appreciate the explanation regarding the word harsh, and I will say the perhaps the word was a bit too strong on my part. I simply didn't want to get anyone who was considering taking a look at this app to be perhaps scared away unnecessarily. The additional feedback you provided here will certainly help to clarify and perhaps mitigate any concerns that someone else may have.

I appreciate your reply. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried it and it didn't do a thing......which is what some of the app's reviewers had said. For some people it worked, for some it didn't. In my case it did nothing at all. Thanks anyway.

You have a D2G? Probably running the Blur launcher? If so, this just isn't possible. Desk Migrate is finicky at best. When you create things on your desktop they are specific to that launcher. If you don't have a custom launcher installed and are using stock, that in itself is a launcher. It would be a different story if somehow your folders, widgets and icons were somehow stored in the framework, but they're not. Desk Migrate works in some situations, but the majority of the time you'll have to set up your screens from scratch.

My best advice. Install Holo, but don't set it as the default. Use it a little and if you like the look and feel, rebuild your set-up by referring to your previous (at tops, this will take you 5 minutes with 5 full screens). If you don't like it, un-install it like you already did and go back to your Blurbortion. If you like Holo, once you have it set up, backup your settings and homescreens within the settings.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
You have a D2G? Probably running the Blur launcher? If so, this just isn't possible. Desk Migrate is finicky at best. When you create things on your desktop they are specific to that launcher. If you don't have a custom launcher installed and are using stock, that in itself is a launcher. It would be a different story if somehow your folders, widgets and icons were somehow stored in the framework, but they're not. Desk Migrate works in some situations, but the majority of the time you'll have to set up your screens from scratch.

Desk Migrate didn't do anything for me.....

My best advice. Install Holo, but don't set it as the default. Use it a little and if you like the look and feel, rebuild your set-up by referring to your previous (at tops, this will take you 5 minutes with 5 full screens). If you don't like it, un-install it like you already did and go back to your Blurbortion. If you like Holo, once you have it set up, backup your settings and homescreens within the settings.

5 minutes for 5 screens??? Hahaha.....those screens each have multiple folders which are loaded with apps. MY blurbortion??? I didn't write the code that runs this phone, just bought it from Verizon.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Desk Migrate didn't do anything for me.....

5 minutes for 5 screens??? Hahaha.....those screens each have multiple folders which are loaded with apps. MY blurbortion??? I didn't write the code that runs this phone, just bought it from Verizon.

5 minutes, yes. Do you realize how fast you can set up folders on the Holo Launcher? Too each his own though. If you want to stick with the blur launcher that's your choice.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Well, think we can all agree that maybe this launcher is not for everyone...It's working fine on my Droid X, and (thanks to this thread) I was prepared for having to re-populate a blank home screen. For me it was easy, and now I've got a "new" phone to hold me over until my SGS3 arrives.
So, I have to say thanks to DroidModderX for bringing this to our attention. Well done!