Main improvements Droid X offers?

Nibbz

Reaction score
What are the main improvements the Droid X offers over the original Motorola Droid that should entice owners to upgrade. I've only been a droid owner for less than a month, in fact my 1 month return (pay reboxing fee) date ends 2 days before the launch of the Droid X. I'm mainly nervous that over the next few months, and the next year, that Verizon, Motrola, and Google, will support the original Droid much less like the Droid Eris this year. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Also answers to the original question qould be great. Thanks in advance.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
I'd say your #1 decision-maker at this time would be, "Do you want a physical keyboard?"

If it's not important to you, then I think it's a no-brainer to get the Droid X instead.

If it IS important to you, then you actually are in a more difficult dilemma. The Droid 2 will be coming out ~August and is essentially the Droid X with a smaller screen and physical keyboard (even more of a no-brainer for you to get, if it were a current option). However, if you do that, then I'm not sure what to tell you to do between now and August.

The main things that the Droid X bring you are:
#1. Huge screen
#2. Faster hardware (significantly faster than the Droid but not quite enough to call the Droid obsolete)

There are tons of other features, some very important to some people, but if you're looking for a "quick answer", then this is it. If you want something more in-depth, then go read through these forums. Everybody else explains many other things much better than I ever could. :)

hoax

Reaction score
If it were me I'd do what I could to jump cheaply from the Droid to the Droid X. If the rumors are true (and they are just rumors) then Android 3.0 will not support smartphones with less than a 1Ghz cpu and 512 megs of RAM. Which means Android 2.2 will likely be the last major update for the Droid and you may miss out on some cool new features while waiting for your contact to expire.

But we're all guessing at this point. Maybe we'll find that the Droid X is unrootable and the Droid was the smartphone to have. It's a gamble.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
If the rumors are true (and they are just rumors) then Android 3.0 will not support smartphones with less than a 1Ghz cpu and 512 megs of RAM. Which means Android 2.2 will likely be the last major update for the Droid

FYI, your comments are not entirely accurate with up-to-the-minute rumors. Read this and this.

Rettocs

Reaction score
If the rumors are true (and they are just rumors) then Android 3.0 will not support smartphones with less than a 1Ghz cpu and 512 megs of RAM. Which means Android 2.2 will likely be the last major update for the Droid

FYI, your comments are not entirely accurate with up-to-the-minute rumors. Read this and this.

nice find :D

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Can I put a spin on the question of the OP and ask the same question but throw in the HTC INC in instead of the Droid.

Jizzylax

Reaction score
Do you like SenseUI? That's the turnoff for me regarding the Incredible.

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Actually I like Sense - mostly for the widgets and email client (for exchange). I hated the email client on the Droid and Touchdown was very crude.

Jcshannon05

Reaction score
I haven't preordered yet but i am upgrading to the droid x from moto droid, and the only thing i'm really having thoughts about are the "NinjaBlur" or whatever they are calling it. I've heard nothing but bad things about MotoBlur. So thats the only thing that i'm curious about. Other than that, I can't wait to even see if my fingers touch the notif bar holding it regularly aaaaaaalllllllllll the way up top. HEHE. dancedroid

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Main improvements over the original Droid are:

Twice the RAM
Newer cpu clocked almost twice as fast
Larger screen (personal preference)
HDMI out
DLNA support