Macro photography

JoeCapricorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Let me start by saying that my old phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3. It took really nice macro of tiny bugs and that's what I really need for my phone, since I like to look for bugs and take pictures of them. But when I got the Droid Turbo 2 I could not find a macro setting in the default camera app in the store display model. I chalked it up to it simply being a poorly made app and figured I would try another app from the Play store.

I have tried four different apps and none of them have a macro option! Even though several of them claim to do so. Either they all deserve 1 star ratings, or something is wrong with my phone.

How do I shoot macro with this thing? I used to be able to get close to a small subject and take a nice clear photo from just a couple of inches away with my S3. But I have to be over a foot away and zoomed in times 4 to get some semblance of clarity with my Droid Turbo 2. Even then, it's not perfect - zooming in reduces the resolution, it may be clear but it's not crisp. It's not like how the S3 took photos.

What am I doing wrong?

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Don't believe that the Turbo 2 is capable of macro on its own. You might like to do a search for macro lens kits that could attach to the T2?

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

OP
J

JoeCapricorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmm, you're the second person to mention a lens kit. (I asked on another android forum about this and got the same response)

I have been seriously considering it since I saw someone at the Renaissance Faire use one that could take extreme macro, and I'd love to capture tiny details of even tinier subjects. It looks like those lenses could fit in a pocket sized case? I'm afraid of them getting scratched over time or broken if I take them along to unusual locations - I have photos of bugs I took at metal shows.

I've also considered a professional camera but that's a lot of investment and I would need to find a way to monetize my photography skill.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You can find deals on nice cameras. I paid less then $400 for a VERY nice Canon DSLR.
It was at Target, it was last years model so they dropped the p[rice to clear it for the new models. By the time I stopped at the store they only had a floor model and gave me that for another 15% off.
It was $650 on Amazon at that time. I paid $379.
And it's pretty hard to take a bad picture with it. :D