Macbook (Pro) Hard Drive replacement

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Those of us with a macbook that is getting up there in age here is some useful info.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Replaced a few for friends and family. Pretty straightforward, but this is an excellent guide

Though if they have the newest MBP then they're out of luck. They use a proprietary drive now from what I've heard.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Replaced a few for friends and family. Pretty straightforward, but this is an excellent guide

Though if they have the newest MBP then they're out of luck. They use a proprietary drive now from what I've heard.
I replaced my HD a couple of years ago with an SSD.. Huge difference in speed.

The new MBP, from what I understand is not user upgradable.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Not proprietary, soldered to the board. Like the Dell XPS 13. RAM and SSD aren't user upgradeable anymore.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not proprietary, soldered to the board. Like the Dell XPS 13. RAM and SSD aren't user upgradeable anymore.
Oh, hmm thought it was proprietary. Yeah as an owner of the XPS 13, it's a bit of a bummer I couldn't upgrade the ssd myself, but realistically I don't need all that storage for what I use my laptop for.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Nah just the cheap way out for them. Make it so if something goes bad we have to pay.