Lucky me, oh crap

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Well, it could only happen to me, I suppose. And I guess it's the lesser of two evils. I was popping my Raze out of it's case to get at the SD card, phone slipped, hit the floor, and a corner popped open. I snapped it back closed, thinking nothing of it. It was the same corner as the battery connection, turns out. The cable is ripped, and I have no insurance with Verizon. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a new stock EB20 battery? I'm back on my Droid X for now. Too many searches already to list, I'm all open to any search suggestions!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, it could only happen to me, I suppose. And I guess it's the lesser of two evils. I was popping my Raze out of it's case to get at the SD card, phone slipped, hit the floor, and a corner popped open. I snapped it back closed, thinking nothing of it. It was the same corner as the battery connection, turns out. The cable is ripped, and I have no insurance with Verizon. Anyone know where I can get my hands on a new stock EB20 battery? I'm back on my Droid X for now. Too many searches already to list, I'm all open to any search suggestions!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Damn, that was terribly unfortunate. As for the cable for the battery, are you sure it's the battery cable and not simply another cable such as the internal USB charging cable? From what I know about the battery, it is connected to the motherboard by 2 torx screws and the battery's cable is actually a ribbon cable, not likely to slip to the side and get pinched in the case halves.

OP
Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Reaction score
I blame it all on Motorola's engineering:

1) The battery connector ribbon has virtually no slack
2) The use of adhesive tape to secure assembly
3) The use of flexible kevlar on the back

When the corner struck the ground, it popped off, and the weak thin strip of adhesive tape on the circuit board gave out due to high temp of recent use/ charging. The nearly-complete coverage tape kept the battery attached to the back cover, which was allowed to bend when the corner unsnapped from the phone. The connector, having no slack, did not fare well from the deflection and tore partially. Had Motorola used a more rigid material on the back cover, endcaps to hold the battery in place, snap-in contacts with SLIGHT slack in the power ribbon, or even left out the tape on the battery-to-back cover, the phone would've endured. I have feelers out all over for a replacement battery, or an extended battery upgrade even. Verizon can kiss my - - - - for not simply stocking a replacement battery. Non-replaceable my @ss. It's features seemingly designed by rolling the dice.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

When the corner struck the ground, it popped off, and the weak thin strip of adhesive tape on the circuit board gave out due to high temp of recent use/ charging. The nearly-complete coverage tape kept the battery attached to the back cover, which was allowed to bend when the corner unsnapped from the phone. The connector, having no slack, did not fare well from the deflection and tore partially. Had Motorola used a more rigid material on the back cover, endcaps to hold the battery in place, snap-in contacts with SLIGHT slack in the power ribbon, or even left out the tape on the battery-to-back cover, the phone would've endured. I have feelers out all over for a replacement battery, or an extended battery upgrade even. Verizon can kiss my - - - - for not simply stocking a replacement battery. Non-replaceable my @ss. It's features seemingly designed by rolling the dice.

Wow! I know there's a brace across the top of the battery that's held down with two screws but there isn't one across the bottom. As for the adhesive on the front of the battery, it's designed that way to add strength to the phone overall. Otherwise the Kevlar would be floating rather than secured and the phone wouldn't be as rigid. I am shocked that the adhesive on the underside of the battery came loose and allowed the battery to partially dislodge tearing the ribbon cable.

You should consider buying a RAZR used off eBay. You could get a battery and still have spare parts for possible future repairs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ddfuji

Reaction score

So you could make the argument of poor/faulty manufacture defects...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums