LTE OnOFF from Cunning Logic

kevins686

Reaction score
If this is more appropriate to the battery forum, I won't be offended if it's moved there . . .

Obviously this app allows us to toggle back and forth between 3G and 4g, which conserves battery life. But are these savings realized if you keep the phone in 3G mode while not online, but switch to 4G whenever you want to surf? In other words, does a 4G phone burn though its charge simply by being on standby in 4G? And if my reasoning here is sound, is this particular app the best one out there for this?

Beardface

Reaction score
If this is more appropriate to the battery forum, I won't be offended if it's moved there . . .

Obviously this app allows us to toggle back and forth between 3G and 4g, which conserves battery life. But are these savings realized if you keep the phone in 3G mode while not online, but switch to 4G whenever you want to surf? In other words, does a 4G phone burn though its charge simply by being on standby in 4G? And if my reasoning here is sound, is this particular app the best one out there for this?
I'm not really sure how much its conserving after the update. Before, this app was crucial to those who did not have 4G, because the phone was sucking battery dry while searching for it, but after the update came out, it seems that the battery drain has tailed off massively when 4G is not accessible. I actually went so far as to set it to 3G & 4G and have noticed the battery life is better now in data than it was before when I only had it on 3G.

Now, I don't have 4G in this area, but from listening to others, it sounds like if you have a strong 4G signal, there shouldn't be any problems with it draining your battery. The only issues arise when you're in an in-between area or on the outskirts where the phone is constantly flipping between 3G and 4G because the LTE signal is so light.

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
I have strong 4G signal in my city/home/work. I've noticed a large battery difference in setting it between 3G and 4G only. I just got about 26 hours of battery life on a charge. hours 1-23 were on wifi and 3G with 4G turned off. hours 23-26 was with 4G only turned on. Stock unrooted with the ota update and no juice defender or anything.

Still I'd like to do some actual measuring and testing of the difference so I'll keep it on 4G tonight and then try it on 3g and see what the differences are.

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
got about 15 hours on straight 4G only. This includes about 7hours of sitting idle while I was sleeping. Gonna try on 3G today after I'm fully charged.

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Interesting - when I set it to CDMA Auto then try to jump online, it tells me I have no network connection . . .

Reaction score
Sometimes after switching from 4G to 3G I have to hit the menu button and then the "Enable Data Connection" option for it to work. I'm not sure why that happens sometimes. Other times it just switches right to 3G.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Found this to make no difference in battery life..
Work in 4G area, Live in 3G

_33

Reaction score
I've been using something to turn my 4g off. I've found probably double the battery life with 3g only. I live in a 4g area, but when 4g is on I'm lucky to get 7 hours with minimal use. I only turn 4g on for tethering in my truck. Even then, I keep the TB in the car dock to charge as I tether.

Turning off 4g is a God sent for me. There is no way I could have kept the phone with the battery life I was getting. I work outside and do not have access to a charger during the day.

My use yesterday on 3g was off charge at 8am at 100%. Back in the truck at 3:30pm at 93%. I'm happy!

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Sometimes after switching from 4G to 3G I have to hit the menu button and then the "Enable Data Connection" option for it to work. I'm not sure why that happens sometimes. Other times it just switches right to 3G.

I didn't see that under my Menu . . . where is it exactly?

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
been running on 3G cdma auto (prl) for almost 24 hours now. played a little more majesty on 4G though so I'll need to compare again.

Reaction score

I didn't see that under my Menu . . . where is it exactly?

Im actually using Phone Info; a different app that takes you to the same system menu. On mine when Im on the same screen where you set it to cdma auto I hit the menu button and one of the options is Enable Data Connection. Phone Info is free in the market if you want to try it.

Why yes; that is a Thunderbolt in my pocket.

dcw9ma

Reaction score
My battery gets sucked dry on 4g from a full charge in 15-20 minutes. What can I do to fix this problem?

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
My battery gets sucked dry on 4g from a full charge in 15-20 minutes. What can I do to fix this problem?
is it the same battery that came with the phone? The battery might just be getting old and need to be replaced. It's a +3 year old phone.