Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
verizon-wireless.png

Big Red intends to launch VoLTE service in the fourth quarter of this year, and the carrier plans to use the technology to introduce new, high-definition telepresence services, according to Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo.

Voice calls will be routed through Verizon’s existing LTE network. With its LTE network nearly complete in the U.S., Verizon Wireless is confident that its service to consumers won’t buckle under the pressure of handling both VoLTE calls and LTE data.

"For us, when we launch a new technology, we have to make sure our quality is strong because the CDMA network was so strong," said Shammo at an investor conference this week. "We don't go before we know it's ready."

However, Fran Shammo has also revealed that the first phones to rely solely on LTE for calls will be not be available until the first half of 2016, or just under two years after the launch of LTE voice service in late 2014.

Source: c|net

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Sounds like they are going to be screwing over a lot of customers in rural areas from buying these new awesome phones unless they can spread reliable LTE to the most remote of areas.

Exactly, at home I only get 1x and if im lucky 3g sometimes, so basically I'll be screwed and can't get any of those devices since even a network adapter would not help me since they don't have any 4g ones. Way to go Verizon.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Exactly, at home I only get 1x and if im lucky 3g sometimes, so basically I'll be screwed and can't get any of those devices since even a network adapter would not help me since they don't have any 4g ones. Way to go Verizon.

I'm also thinking of people that travel and go on vacation with one of those phones. You'll be out of a phone if you happen to go somewhere without LTE. I'm thinking of places like Yosemite and what not. When I was on Verizon, I got 1X with 1 bar but it still made calls.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's obvious this is where they been heading for awhile and is why they are doing everything they can to get people off of their unlimited data. And I bet they are going to get with google and "mend the fence" to provide them the info to allow their nexus to work on volte to use as a carrot to try and get some of the remaining stragglers off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
and won't these HD telepresence services take data? or are those going to be considered free? sounds like they are going to keep expanding the network and continually crushing down on data use... what's the point if you can't use the data

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They want nothing to do with Google because of wallet/ISIS issue.
Except they were willing to sell the nexus 7 2013....urrghh allow it on their network. I do not think we will ever see another galaxy nexus like partnership, but that does not mean they will not own the gate and allow a nexus product sold through Google or best buy in. Especially since they know how bad nexus fans want another nexus that will work on Verizon's network and majority of those same people are on unlimited data. So I would not put it past Verizon to open the gate and throw in a "special double down" deal. The main mission being to get people to volunteer giving up their unlimited data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Are there really that many people who still have unlimited data w Verizon?? How are you people affording your full retail price phones xD

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Are there really that many people who still have unlimited data w Verizon?? How are you people affording your full retail price phones xD

My guess is that people that are keeping unlimited data know what they have and don't want to lose it. If you put $50 away a month for a new phone you can get a new one every year. $50 isn't that hard to stash away, its just those times when you find yourself with an unexpected bill that you begin to eyeball that stash.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You don't always have to pay full retail either. I bought two droid maxx new when they came out for $700.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I mean, maybe it isn't hard for some to put aside, but $50 a month is a lot of money to me haha. I live pretty much paycheck to paycheck between rent, my car, and food lol

But, yeah, that's true there are sometimes good deals

Last edited: