lost on getting a tablet

93fuelslut

Reaction score
I just jumped on the whole tablet interest..yes i know im late, but i didnt really have an interest.
I was looking at the nexus 7 mainly cause its 7inches and not huge and really portable.
And its 250$ for 32gb with no contract..
But........
Is there aokp jb roms and mods to flash compatible with this or not really cause asus just really isnt big with developers?
And whats nfc they keep talking abt?
But it has a 1.3mp camera...isnt that horrible? My d4 sucks and its 8mp

Im really looking for a 7inch tab with
Sd card option
Hdmi
Keyboard Bluetooth
Around 200$ with no contract.
Dont care abt internal size since i have a sd card option
Good camera
Roms that are available

Im assuming u cant do stuff like, download programs to ur laptop so u can root ur phone..
What really is the difference in a tab vs a laptop?
I just really use a laptop for rooting phones and surfing the web..usual stuff..
Can u text or call people on a tab?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just found this on SD this morning: Asus Google Nexus 7 Asus 1B32 32GB Tablet Quad Core Tegra 3 Processor 886227342402 | eBay

Pretty darn good price for one imo.

- There is an AOKP ROM iirc, along with many other quality ROMs that can be found over at XDA. I'm currently running ParanoidAndroid and really like it.
- NFC = near field communication. So if you have another NFC device such as the Nexus, you can Android Beam from your Nexus to your Nexus 7. You can send(beam) over websites, pictures, youtube videos, etc. It's pretty cool.
- There is only a front facing camera and it works as well as any other front facing android camera imo.

1. There is no SD card slot on the Nexus 7
2. No HDMI either
3. It's bluetooth compatible

The difference between a tablet and a laptop isn't as big of a gap as it used to be imo. Apps on tablets have since gotten better and you can do basics (web surfing, documents, videos, etc.) on a tablet as comfortably on a tablet as you can on a laptop, especially if you get a BT keyboard. You should be able to call and text on a tablet with Google Voice. However there is an app I highly recommend for all tablet users, Tablet Talk, which allows you to connect to your phone via wifi or bluetooth. If you connect to your phone with BT then you can take calls through your tablet, it's pretty cool.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Is there any other 7inch tabs u would recommend with sd card slot, and hdmi for around 200$ 250$?
U cant root phones thru this can u?

I will definitely check out that link thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
To be honest, the only tablet I looked at after selling my Xoom was the Nexus 7.

In the store I took a look at the Galaxy tab 2 or whatever it is. And iirc, that has an sd slot, but it felt really cheap compared to the Nexus 7. My friend picked up a Kindle Fire, but I didn't get too good a look at it.

And as for rooting phones through a tablet, to my knowledge, I don't think that's possible. The drivers most likely aren't compatible with Android.

Here's the tab 2 page:http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR
Honestly, go check out an office depot or something and compare over there.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
Well the camera is better...seems like it has more to it, but i dont want nothing cheaply made..esp over 250$ plus tax

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well the camera is better...seems like it has more to it, but i dont want nothing cheaply made..esp over 250$ plus tax
It really does have everything you're looking for, but judging how it feels in your hands is something only you can test out. I know if I were to spend about $270 (including tax) I wouldn't want it to feel cheap.

The best bang for buck is the Nexus 7, but there are some sacrifices as well. However for a $200 tablet, you can't argue the build quality is top notch. Other than those 2 tablets and along with the kindle fire, don't think there are too many other 7in tablets, at least any I would consider getting.

Highly recommend you go to a store and check'em out. I went to Office Depot and that's where I got the feel for the tablets.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok thanks.....
Is office depo the only place to get non contract tabs?
Best Buy should have'em. Heck maybe even walmart might. Try checking the websites of your local electronics stores and see. I just happened to go to Office Depot the other because I knew the 8gb were going on clearance and I tried to pick one of those up, but no luck.