Lost keyboard & button lights...

hacku

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Droid that is less than a week old and I absolutely love it. I haven't rooted the phone and I'm running 2.0.1 on it.

Tonight I noticed in the Android Marketplace that there was an update to Beautiful Widget which I purchased the other day. I downloaded and installed the update and notice one of the icons was missing on the widget. Figured I need to restart the phone. So I shut it down and restart it and then I notice that the four buttons on the top aren't lighting up. I slide open the keyboard and notice it's not lighting up either.

So I uninstall the widget all together and restart the phone again and I still have no lights. Phone is fully charged and the keys were lighting up just fine prior to the Beautiful Widget update. Anyone have any idea how I can get the lighting back?

Thanks

OP
hacku

hacku

Reaction score
Well, woke up this morning and everything seems to be fine now.

Very weird!

civEX

Reaction score
Mine seem to be on or off all the time when I reboot my droid. I just toggle the brightness on the power controls and it comes on and works like usual.

Note: my auto brightness is off and the power control is a part of your stock widgets.

alexb

Reaction score
Lock then unlock. Fixes mine every time!

Doesn't always work. My touch keys seem to turn on and off randomly and the lock trick doesn't do it 100%. Good to know it's not just my droid doing it though. Does anyone know if this is an issue that's going to be addressed in an update?

savageseas

Reaction score
First post. Hi. :)

I had this happen a couple of days ago. I was updating an app, went to clear the notification bar and the screen froze up. (I've been having several issues - separate post). I rebooted the phone and everything looked fine but the button lights and keyboard backlights did not come back. I put the phone on to charge (still did not come on) and went to bed. It was ok when I got up in the morning. (?) VZW guy didn't have an explanation for me either.

:motdroidhoriz: ~J

THAWARRIOR10

Reaction score
yeah i've had the same issue with my phone! i even went back to vzw to exchange it, it had other problems too, and they gave me a new one and it worked for a month or so and now it's on and off with the lights.....i hope it gets fixed

drminnsx

Reaction score
Lights out?!

My DROID was working fine until this morning....but then the lights on the action bar and keyboard stopped working.

I had just uninstalled VZ FiOS Mobile, which is a whole other issue (it didn't work and then it worked, now not so much again).

Then out of no where the lights went out on the action bar and the keyboard. Everything I read and tried didn't work: I rebooted several times, pulled the battery, checked and unchecked the auto brightness. I spent 30mins, maybe more doing this.

Finally, I simply locked and unlocked my phone and the lights illuminated again. The lights have stayed on the whole time I typed this post...knock on wood.

What's up with this? Any know if future firmware or OS update will prevent this from ever happening again?

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a bug that I guess you either put up with or find a workaround. I personally like the buttons illuminated at night when I'm using the Droid, so you can either go into settings and tap on the brightness, or if you use the "Power Control" widget on your screen, just tap the brightness button on there and it will turn your lights back on too. For me, it's not a major bug but a minor inconvenience.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a bug that I guess you either put up with or find a workaround. I personally like the buttons illuminated at night when I'm using the Droid, so you can either go into settings and tap on the brightness, or if you use the "Power Control" widget on your screen, just tap the brightness button on there and it will turn your lights back on too. For me, it's not a major bug but a minor inconvenience.

In the darkness in the middle of the night when you pick up your Droid to answer an email (doesn't everybody sleep with their Droid?) this is a pia. I will try the Power Control Widget next time this happens, thanks for the tip Vulcan.

drminnsx

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip about the "Power Control" widget. I didn't know about that. As far as the illumination issue, it's fixed. Long story short, after trying every tip the one that worked was locking and unlocking the phone. :)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In the darkness in the middle of the night when you pick up your Droid to answer an email (doesn't everybody sleep with their Droid?) this is a pia. I will try the Power Control Widget next time this happens, thanks for the tip Vulcan.
Well, of course we know how the Droid will keep us warm at night, so of course everyone does, however when I sleep, I'm sleeping and my Droid is safely in her multimedia dock giving me the current time if I do wake up. I actually wish the buttons wouldn't illuminate all night and they would stay off by default when in the multimedia dock.