Lost facebook contacts and photos

OP
E

eliasperez13

Reaction score
when i bought my phone yesterday the guy at best buy synced it quick, so why cant it sync again?

dislimone

Reaction score
Well thats odd. Now im hearing that you can sync but then the post before says the newest version of gingerbread does not support facebook. Looks like im going back to the store to figure it out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

fizband

Reaction score
I believe on the newest version of gingerbread google stopped allowing the syncing of facebook. That being said if its that important to you (which it sounds like it is) download friendcaster from the market and it will allow you to sync your contacts. Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
it good that friend caster worked for you, but in my bionic it did not, also tried friend sync also didn't work. you mentioned something about checking credential, how do i go about doing that?

JayMonster

Reaction score
Try this

Well I only have the preinstalled facebook. Every time I try to sync the account nothing happens. Under my contacts i have facebook up and my auto sync is green but nothing is happening. Been like this for four days now. Could my phone be broke?

I am not sure what you are looking at, but let us try this another way.

Go into Contacts

Open the Menu and Choose "Display Options"

Under "Choose Contacts to display" You should have a Google Account, a Preset (Verizon Wireless), Backup Assitant (whether you use it or not) and Facebook.
(You may have others if you have apps like LinkedIn, etc).

Choose the down arrow by Facebook and make sure there is a checkmark by "All Contacts"

If you do not see Facebook in this list, then you do not have it set up properly (You probably have the app set up, but not Blur).

Go back to Accounts, Choose Add Account. You should see a Facebook there with a Green Checkmark next to it. If not, you have definitely not set up blur. Choose the larger Facebook icon (the smaller one will not do anything anyway), and enter your credentials.

If you get this far and still cannot get your contacts to sync, the last option is to go into Facebook and Deauthorize (remove) the Droid App. You will get an error the next time the phone tries to connect. Open the settings and retype the password (if you just hit "OK" without typing the password, it will NOT try to reauthorize).

Let me know how you make out.

KKenui

Reaction score
That explains why when I just switched from my X to the Bionic why none of my FB contacts transferred over. This really sucks because now I have numbers without names and I have lost a few numbers that were connected thru FB. I did notice thou that the new FB app has the buttons to call or text the contact, but you have to go into FB and search for the contact first instead of just doing it all from within your phone. I really hope this gets fixed soon. This was a huge plus that droid had. What happened anyway? I did not hear of this till running across this post.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
Well I don't have a Bionic (I wish!) but I have an idea that cannot hurt to try.. so I shall suggest it!

I use the Motorola A855 (Motorola Droid) and I can export my contacts to the SD card from within the options within CONTACTS. Just press Menu in contacts and look for export. Has anyone tried exporting their contacts from their old phone where the names, numbers, and email addys were already synced with Facebook? It probably won't import pictures but it will save the numbers and some other information that some of you wish you hadn't lost.

I'm sure you can import it the same way within the same operating system -however I am just guessing- my Droid is on Gingerbread 2.3.5, I'm not sure what Bionic has.

Hope it helps!

dislimone

Reaction score
Ok so to make a long story short. I tried the above and then jumped on the Verizon tech support line for an hour yesterday. Still no help and syncing not working. Found out that there was a corruption inside the phone and even the market would not update. I then went to the dealer today and replaced the phone due to the 14day return policy. Had the tech set my phone up to see what they might be doing differently and still no Facebook syncing contacts in the new phone. Tech states "This will take up to 24hrs before Facebook and all content including photos and numbers will auto populate in the contacts list." Well the first time I went in to the store, there was immediate results after upgrading. When I swapped the phone, no sync and no signs of syncing in progress after initial phone set up. True to the above my "Blur" Facebook app is properly recognized and my internal social network app is loading Facebook updates without photos. I do not have the android market Facebook app installed and still no association with contact lists. Tried also to disable background data to do a manual sync and Facebook is grayed out. That means no possible way for the bionic to sync with Facebook to associate photos and numbers with currently established contact list through Google or my Verizon. Also checked the privacy setting for facebook and android and all is well with no sync.

Hope we can eventually get this thing figured out but I am growing impatient and looks like we are running out of options. Keep me posted with more success if any is out there.

fizband

Reaction score
Ok so to make a long story short. I tried the above and then jumped on the Verizon tech support line for an hour yesterday. Still no help and syncing not working. Found out that there was a corruption inside the phone and even the market would not update. I then went to the dealer today and replaced the phone due to the 14day return policy. Had the tech set my phone up to see what they might be doing differently and still no Facebook syncing contacts in the new phone. Tech states "This will take up to 24hrs before Facebook and all content including photos and numbers will auto populate in the contacts list." Well the first time I went in to the store, there was immediate results after upgrading. When I swapped the phone, no sync and no signs of syncing in progress after initial phone set up. True to the above my "Blur" Facebook app is properly recognized and my internal social network app is loading Facebook updates without photos. I do not have the android market Facebook app installed and still no association with contact lists. Tried also to disable background data to do a manual sync and Facebook is grayed out. That means no possible way for the bionic to sync with Facebook to associate photos and numbers with currently established contact list through Google or my Verizon. Also checked the privacy setting for facebook and android and all is well with no sync.

Hope we can eventually get this thing figured out but I am growing impatient and looks like we are running out of options. Keep me posted with more success if any is out there.

its facebook that is blocking the app i think(just guessing) , they announced that facebook will be going mobile in 1-2 years from now. off course they would want to prevent others from accessing their site. in leu of this they can probably monopolized the market by restricting access to data thus forcing consumers to get apps or mobile devices that they created. if true congratulations your data and your friends data is now facebook new money making scheme lol now you'd have to pay more to access your own data.

jetguat

Reaction score
Not sure which combination worked. But I was going through the hole thread. And not sure which triggered it. but I've got my updates, my contact photos, the FB link within the contacts. Its all working.

I had the same problems as others. Greyed out social app.
I tried removing then readding FB as an account.
I tried disabling background data, going to market reenabling data.
from there I disabled auto-sync and clicked on FB and click menu hit the sync now
did not see any noticable data traffic.
I tried going to my account, clicking on facebook, it recognized that its already added.
I reentered my password nonetheless and click ok.
I tried enabling, disabling the display of FB contacts.
I think over the course of the day I was monkeying around with this for about an 1+

perhaps I tried some other stuff. but all my hacking around. something kicked the bionic into
working again.
I am not sure what you are looking at, but let us try this another way.

Go into Contacts

Open the Menu and Choose "Display Options"

Under "Choose Contacts to display" You should have a Google Account, a Preset (Verizon Wireless), Backup Assitant (whether you use it or not) and Facebook.
(You may have others if you have apps like LinkedIn, etc).

Choose the down arrow by Facebook and make sure there is a checkmark by "All Contacts"

If you do not see Facebook in this list, then you do not have it set up properly (You probably have the app set up, but not Blur).

Go back to Accounts, Choose Add Account. You should see a Facebook there with a Green Checkmark next to it. If not, you have definitely not set up blur. Choose the larger Facebook icon (the smaller one will not do anything anyway), and enter your credentials.

If you get this far and still cannot get your contacts to sync, the last option is to go into Facebook and Deauthorize (remove) the Droid App. You will get an error the next time the phone tries to connect. Open the settings and retype the password (if you just hit "OK" without typing the password, it will NOT try to reauthorize).

Let me know how you make out.

dislimone

Reaction score
So you dont know what the last step was that triggered the sync...how do you remember everything else but ehat actually worked???

jetguat

Reaction score
quite simply, I tried most of those things and then went back to the contact to see if the photos were updates and the facebook
link was within each contact.

Frankly, none of the above were terribly difficult or extensive. Just trying them all. does it really matter (at this point) which it was, it
it only takes a few minutes for an experienced user to rip through all the above?

So you dont know what the last step was that triggered the sync...how do you remember everything else but ehat actually worked???

92DakotaHD

Reaction score
I can't find the article but read one yesterday stating that Google was blocking the sync with the new update because of facebook now allowing the synced contacts to be exported off the phone gave users a "false sense of data portability". Its annoying as that's where I got my contact pictures from.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

dislimone

Reaction score
Ok so here is what I have found out from tech support at motorola. They know of the problem and they have their team working around the clock to get the issue fixed. There is a glich with the new gingerbread os as well as facebook moto blur. They are supposed to keep is posted and let us know kf updates to fix. Hope this helps everyone. I was told to be patient and should be resolved soon.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have FB contacts synced. I had Picasa and FB pics synced in the Gallery. Picasa and FB pics went away in the Gallery. The Social app will not refresh or update. I cannot delete FB or Picasa out of the Social app to try to reinstall. Verizon doesn't know, Moto tells me to hard reset. Hopefully another solution arises