Losing signal randomly - no data, dropped calls

mm81

Reaction score
I have generally -75 to -90 dB of 4G and 3G signal at both work and home in Metro DC. In both places, I have seen the phone lose all data connectivity randomly AND it drops whatever call is currently taking place. I initially thought it was because I kept changing the 3G/4G settings via the *#*#4636#*#* setting, so I did a factory reset. But again, I've seen it lose all connectivity.

Does it sound like my phone is faulty?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, if it happened in one place then I'd say tower issue. And it still may be.

See TB is so new it's hard to say but I can tell you I'm not seeing a lot of threads like this. My suggestion is to call VZW and tell them that you have done a reset and still are having an issue. Either they will give you another phone or do a ticket for you.

Natejka7273

Reaction score
If the signal tends to be good in these location then it may be defective. I've made a lot of calls and haven't dropped a call once yet (Pittsburgh). Maybe the SIM card is faulty or something. Did you or a dumb Verizon employee dial *228? because apparently doing that destroys stuff. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-thunderbolt/134030-228-destroys-sim-card.html. I don't know what *#*#4636#*#* is but maybe that messed with the SIM card. If it happens often in other locations I would definitely take it to Verizon for help. Then again, it could be an unresolved handshake issue I guess.

ericcsong

Reaction score
are you using google voice? Im near the DC area and this has happened to me. I'm wondering if its a google voice issue or a TB issue

iOSh8er

Reaction score
Having the same problems. This phone seems to receive a weak signal. It goes from 3G to 1X constantly in areas that my Droid had excellent 3G coverage. I may call VZW on this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

joeshell20

Reaction score
I have this same exact problem with my dx. Even with the replacement that big red sent me, it still does it. Fyi, Verizon phones don't use sim cards. They use cdma technology.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

iOSh8er

Reaction score
FYI...
The thunderbolt does use a sim card.

joeshell20

Reaction score
I didn't know lte uses sim cards. I am happy with my droidx, so I don't really pay that much attention to all the new devices coming out. Does this mean that soon big red will make it easier for us to buy unlocked phones from other carriers and activate them on Verizon's network? Highly unlikely I expect.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ericcsong

Reaction score
Having the same problems. This phone seems to receive a weak signal. It goes from 3G to 1X constantly in areas that my Droid had excellent 3G coverage. I may call VZW on this.

keep us updated. I'm wondering if its all TBs or just a few

iOSh8er

Reaction score
See the "poor 3g signal" thread. It seems to have more activity on the subject...

4xxblessed

Reaction score
Interesting because I'm having the same problem, and I'm also in Metro DC area (No. VA). I'll be using the phone over wi-fi in my house, then go outside and have no data service. Usually the box is checked for mobile service, but twice the box has been grayed out not even giving me the option. The only thing that seems to temporarily "fix" it is a doing a reset.

It's like having to do a Blackberry battery pull all over again!

I have generally -75 to -90 dB of 4G and 3G signal at both work and home in Metro DC. In both places, I have seen the phone lose all data connectivity randomly AND it drops whatever call is currently taking place. I initially thought it was because I kept changing the 3G/4G settings via the *#*#4636#*#* setting, so I did a factory reset. But again, I've seen it lose all connectivity.

Does it sound like my phone is faulty?

OP
M

mm81

Reaction score
I am returning the phone actually and not going with VZW. Overall they have great service, but I still drops calls and data disconnects so back to AT&T... Maybe the VZW/TBolt and disconnect situation will improve over time but I don't want to be locked into a contract.

joewilly013

Reaction score
Call VZW- I've been troubleshooting the same problem on my TB and they finally decided to set up a trouble ticket to have a field service tech inspect the network in my area (West Phoenix). I was told 4G issues are elevated to highest priority and typically get a 24-48 be turnaround.

I've already tried a new SIM card and that hasn't helped. I would suggest trying other locations in your city- for me, I get solid 4G in some areas.