Losing data connection and calls a hardware issue or LTE tower problem?

MyDroid23

Reaction score
In my 2+yrs with VZW I have never experienced a dropped call or loss of data unexpectedly. After 7 days of owning what is supposed to be Google's flagship 4G/LTE device is falling short on a stable connection to data and or phone calls. I have read over and over different sites with people with the same issues. This brings me to question if the problem with a low 4G/LTE signal and entire loss of data and phone calls is due to defective HARDWARE or if it is a 4G/LTE tower issue.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
A little of both, probably. Part of the problem is with Verizon's ability to grant permission to your phone when it requests data connection. Some phones are quicker than others on asking permission if it's either denied or is dropped. This ability can vary even within the same model of phone.

If this only happens a little, it may be the tower.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I have no idea but im on my 2nd GNex (first was stolen) and thr replacement was brand new in the box.

Ive had the same issues with both. Its getting progressively worse with the loss of LTE connecton.

I may simply leave the network on CDMA or trade this thing for a 4S... its getting that annoying.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I had the issue, flashed the 4.0.4 ROM and the issue persisted. I used the phone for a week this way and could not take the constant dropped data and signal. I deemed it a hardware problem and returned it for another one. I have not had a dropped signal once in the 2-3 weeks I have had the new Nexus.

dlc1265

Reaction score
It has to be a hardware issue...After a month or so of signal loss / dropped calls I got a replacement yesterday. WOW!! I now see what some of the major complaints are about!! I rarely picked up a signal. Driving to work, about 15 miles, I had 4 bars of 4g to nothing in the matter of seconds. I have never seen anything so crazy. I checked my stats and I was without a mobile network 77% of the time! Got on the phone with VZW, they tried some stuff, and now they are sending me another. I really want to jump ship from this pig! Cubemate has a RAZR he gets a constant 3-4 bars of 4g, at my desk I get 2 bars of 3g. Soooo disappointed....

z06mike

Reaction score
Get another one! I had one that kept dropping calls and got sent a replacement. I've been with Verizon for nearly 10 years and have VERY VERY RARELY had a dropped call. After dropping 10-15 calls in a matter of weeks, I could not take it anymore and had to get a new one.

dlc1265

Reaction score
I have another being delivered tomorrow, Z06. Lets hope I have better luck. I do love the phone but I am getting a little frusterated. I am almost beginning to think I got a good one to start; and it will just get better when the 4.0.4 update is live.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It has to be a hardware issue...After a month or so of signal loss / dropped calls I got a replacement yesterday. WOW!! I now see what some of the major complaints are about!! I rarely picked up a signal. Driving to work, about 15 miles, I had 4 bars of 4g to nothing in the matter of seconds. I have never seen anything so crazy. I checked my stats and I was without a mobile network 77% of the time! Got on the phone with VZW, they tried some stuff, and now they are sending me another. I really want to jump ship from this pig! Cubemate has a RAZR he gets a constant 3-4 bars of 4g, at my desk I get 2 bars of 3g. Soooo disappointed....

Emmm, just for the point of explanation, the bars to the right of the 4G (or 3G or 1X) icon have nothing to do with Data signal strength. It has to do with the strength of the Cell Phone signal as in the ability to make (or receive) a phone call.

The 4G (or 3G or 1X) icon will either by White (available) or Blue (connected with the carrier). In theory it'll go from White to Blue, but I've had a working connection with just White.

Last edited:

dlc1265

Reaction score
Emmm, just for the point of explanation, the bars to the right of the 4G (or 3G or 1X) icon have nothing to do with data signal strength. It has to do with the strength of the Cell Phone signal as in the ability to make (or receive) a phone call.

The 4G (or 3G or 1X) icon will either by White (available) or Blue (connected with the carrier). In theory it'll go from White to Blue, but I've had a working connection with just White.

Thanks for clarifing. My first phone, would maintain the white bars but would take forever to connect to a mobile data network (turn blue) when leaving a WiFi envronment. The replacement would completly lose all service, even voice! I couldn't make or receive and calls. I tried it with the VZW rep on the phone, while others around me had plenty of voice and data service. I'm sure things will get ironed out soon. I now kinda feel bad for those I have read about with REAL connection problems.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
mine goes from a strong signal (3-4 bars of 4G) to nothing... like someone flipped a switch.

im >< this close to a 4S. its getting VERY annoying. to the point i dont even want this phone anymore.

Kurupt

Reaction score
mine goes from a strong signal (3-4 bars of 4G) to nothing... like someone flipped a switch.

im >< this close to a 4S. its getting VERY annoying. to the point i dont even want this phone anymore.

Where do you guys live!? Nebraska? I have traveled all over the country and haven't had any frustrating issues. If I do, its for obvious reasons such as a building I am in... oh yeah I was out in the boonies near Orlando. Other than that, if I don't have the best data connection...wifi works great, even flying on Virgin America

dlc1265

Reaction score

I'm with ya. My wife has a 4s...I could never live with that small screen after this beautiful display!

I am way past my 15 days, if the 4.0.4 update doesn't work for me, I don't know what I'm going to do!

BTW...I live in the Detroit area....Good, strong 4G area....at least according to my old Rezound...

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
You can still get a replacement, but it will have to be mailed to you is all and it will be a CLNR.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
I got my Gnex swapped out for a new one yesterday and I have not experienced any dropped calls or loss of data yet. I did random speedtests and the results are better speeds when it shows 2 bars on 4G/LTE than speeds showing on almost full bars on 4G. This might be what BIG RED is talking about in the statement saying the GNex shows false signals. In any case, I still haven't found anything stating that this is a SOFTWARE ISSUE OR IF IT'S A HARDWARE ISSUE.