Losing 13-15% battery per hour. Any Suggestions?

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
First off I love the S3. And I am getting great 4G reception pretty much everywhere I go. It is lightening fast.
Love the size of it.
But I am getting very poor battery life.
Without using the phone or even turning on the screen for, I am losing 13-15% of the battery. I have GPS and synch off.
Power saving on. Doesn't seem to matter if I have the phone on wi-fi or not. Similar results.
As an experiment, I put it on airplane mode and I lost 1% in an hour. So I guess my problem is related to the radio.
Needless to say, when I use the phone (which is often), I have to recharge it every 4-5 hours.
Any suggestions?
Thanks...

kgula

Reaction score
I would suggest you look at your consumption and see what program is running in the background. If you are running the radio, I have heard that does suck down the
battery quick.

OP
H

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
If you want to receive email and phone calls, how does one not run the radio??
My old Droid OG definitly went more than 4-8 hours before needing a recharge.

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
Download Gsam Battery Monitor and CPU Spy to help you see if you have a rogue app and also if your phone sleeps when the screen is off. Has it always done this or is this something new? Also, has it been awhile since you've powered your phone off and back on? There have been a couple times where I've experienced rapid battery loss and rebooting took care of it.

OP
H

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
Download Gsam Battery Monitor and CPU Spy to help you see if you have a rogue app and also if your phone sleeps when the screen is off. Has it always done this or is this something new? Also, has it been awhile since you've powered your phone off and back on? There have been a couple times where I've experienced rapid battery loss and rebooting took care of it.

I do have GSam and it has...
phone 7.2%
screen 11.6
phone radio 16.6
wifi active .1
Held awake .9
App Usage 63.6%

When I click on App usage, I get..
Android system 47.6%
Exchange services 10.1
Kernal 3.4
Email 1.2
and then a long list with each one less than 1%.

Does this tell you anything?

To answer your other questions, it has been like this from day one. And also I do power it down to recharge it about 3 times a week. It do it when it is less than 15% as recommended.

Thanks for any help....

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
In comparing it to mine it seems really high for Android System & I don't even show Exchange. After being on for about 16 hours with about 2 hours of screen time I've got 37% left. Gsam showed my Android System as using 3.6%. I wonder if it isn't sleeping when the screen goes off. CPU Spy would tell you. Wish I could help you more. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can offer some input.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I've been sitting listening to MP3's with via Bluetooth for the last couple of hours, my "Android System" is at 1.3%, I don't think I've ever seen it up at 47%. Since you've done soft resets, I think a hard reset may be in order:angry:. Verizon is going to have you do that before they replace it anyway. If that doesn't fix it, I would have it replaced. If I'm not using my phone it goes down about 2-3%/hr. If I'm using it a lot it goes down 10-12%/hr. I'd suggest another battery if the usage numbers weren't so high.

OP
H

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
Okay...I just downloaded CPU Spy and ran it.
Everything was 0-4% except for 384 MHz which was 49% and Deep Sleep which was 37%.
Does that tell anyone anything???
Thanks...Howard

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
Well it appears it is going into sleep mode. I'm out of ideas. Looks like Natey & JR gave you some things to try. Good luck.

Deifan8

Reaction score
Mine is almost identical to yours. Same usages you are showing. Battery is drained constantly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

sakhamuri

Reaction score
Howardmgm3 said:
First off I love the S3. And I am getting great 4G reception pretty much everywhere I go. It is lightening fast.
Love the size of it.
But I am getting very poor battery life.
Without using the phone or even turning on the screen for, I am losing 13-15% of the battery. I have GPS and synch off.
Power saving on. Doesn't seem to matter if I have the phone on wi-fi or not. Similar results.
As an experiment, I put it on airplane mode and I lost 1% in an hour. So I guess my problem is related to the radio.
Needless to say, when I use the phone (which is often), I have to recharge it every 4-5 hours.
Any suggestions?
Thanks...

Try juice defender from Google app store. That's the only app you need for the battery issue. Free version is fine.

OP
H

Howardmgm3

Reaction score
Try juice defender from Google app store. That's the only app you need for the battery issue. Free version is fine.

Will Juice Defender do something to make my battery last as long as most are getting so I don't have to charge it twice a day?
If so, what does it do?
Thanks...Howard

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I had juice defender on my thunderbolt for about the first year I had it. It seemed to work well for what I used it for. It basically turns off background data and a few other things. It seemed like it took forever to get 4G back on so I finally got rid of it. I have no idea how it works on an s3. Mine was unplugged around 13 hours today on wifi maybe 5 of those and the rest on 4g. Maybe 1.5 hours screen on time, hour of pandora and 2 hours of phone calls I'd guess. It was only down to 50 percent.

sakhamuri

Reaction score
Howardmgm3 said:
Will Juice Defender do something to make my battery last as long as most are getting so I don't have to charge it twice a day?
If so, what does it do?
Thanks...Howard

Yes, u don't have to charge twice a day, basically I find it to be turning off the wifi and other radios when not in use. It maintains a standard white list apps it allows to communicate using wifi 3g etc radios. Give it a try I was about return my s3 due to this battery issue juie defender improved the situation.