"Lookout" App

jerryc41

Reaction score
While using Animated Weather, I saw an ad at the top of the screen for Lookout - a security app. I got it working, and one feature I really like is the "Scream." When I can't find my Droid X, I don't have to embarrass myself by asking my wife if she's seen my phone (again). I just logon and tell the phone to scream. This can also be used to give people a little surprise. Leave the phone near someone, and have it scream. Fun for the whole family.

It also has a Locate feature, but that seems to be more for telling the very general (within 5,000' - I think) location.

csimo

Reaction score
While using Animated Weather, I saw an ad at the top of the screen for Lookout - a security app. I got it working, and one feature I really like is the "Scream." When I can't find my Droid X, I don't have to embarrass myself by asking my wife if she's seen my phone (again). I just logon and tell the phone to scream. This can also be used to give people a little surprise. Leave the phone near someone, and have it scream. Fun for the whole family.

It also has a Locate feature, but that seems to be more for telling the very general (within 5,000' - I think) location.

I tried it for a while and it ate too much battery for me to keep using it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to keep the app, please do yourself a favor and disable the auto-protect anti-virus feature. It's only going to use battery and provide ZERO protection from things that don't exist currently.

There is malware for Android, but viruses really aren't an issue (as Android is Linux based).
Any malicious app is going is going to gain access thru permissions (and are not self replicating), which are granted when an app is installed, so 'scanning' for viruses won't do a thing. :)

Enjoy!

OP
J

jerryc41

Reaction score
Good Suggestion

Thanks for recommending that I turn off virus scanning. Anything to save battery life is good.

I assume that suggestion applies to all antivirus apps. What about protection when downloading email and apps? Isn't there a possible threat there?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for recommending that I turn off virus scanning. Anything to save battery life is good.

I assume that suggestion applies to all antivirus apps. What about protection when downloading email and apps? Isn't there a possible threat there?

Google scans the codes for anything housed on their marketplace servers so unless you are install apps from a 3rd party marketplace (there are a few) than scripts 'within' the d/l aren't an issue (again the malicious scripts are the apps themselves). As for your emails you should ONLY be using email clients/servers that do this anyway (gmail, exchange servers ect.). You should do this anyway for the safety of ALL your computers. Besides such things will generally be coded for Windows (or yes, even MACs) as Android isn't large enough to make such scripts worth the time so even if you do d/l such an email on your phone it's highly unlikely anything would happen. And you should be using a redundant system on your desktop(s) (e.g. Norton) anyway just in case something gets my the mail server.

OP
J

jerryc41

Reaction score
GMail & Norton

I'm using GMail and Norton, so I guess I'm reasonably safe.

It started snowing here a few hours ago. I guess it began in Nashville earlier than that. Winter is here. I maintained my tradition of putting my snow tires on while it is snowing.

Jerry

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using GMail and Norton, so I guess I'm reasonably safe.

It started snowing here a few hours ago. I guess it began in Nashville earlier than that. Winter is here. I maintained my tradition of putting my snow tires on while it is snowing.

Jerry

Yeah, that's the same setup I have, you'll be fine (within reason). It's been snowing here in Nashville since Friday afternoon/night. Snowed all day and last night but nothing really 'stuck'. Where are you at?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

An anti-virus app isn't going to pick up a Windows/PC virus so it's not really gonna help there. As a poster already mentioned, your computer should be equipped with an anti-virus to handle any and all files that come across it... also your e-mail client should have built in protections as well.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm in W. MA... we were only supposed to get a few inches now they're saying 2 ft!

I doubt we'll see that but I'm itching to go 4 wheelin!