Looking to root, help with terminology?

danielson2047

Reaction score
Just got my thunderbolt last week and am starting to look at the root process more in depth. I rooted my last phone (MD1) and never regretted it. I see it looks a bit more complicated with the TB. First off, what does "RUU", "S-OFF/S-ON", "hboot" and "fastboot" mean? Also, can anyone suggest the best methods for rooting/unrooting? I need to have a definite way to unroot before i am willing to root. With the Moto, i just ran RSD Lite and boom, back to stock in 5 min. Any similar programs for the TB? Thanks guys.

Last edited:

turdbogls

Reaction score
Just got my thunderbolt last week and am starting to look at the root process more in depth. I rooted my last phone (MD1) and never regretted it. I see it looks a bit more complicated with the TB. First off, what does "RUU", "S-OFF/S-ON", "hboot" and "fastboot" mean? Also, can anyone suggest the best methods for rooting/unrooting? I need to have a definite way to unroot before i am willing to root. With the Moto, i just ran RSD Lite and boom, back to stock in 5 min. Any similar programs for the TB? Thanks guys.
i am not an expert on the TB yet, but i am pretty sure i know what some of these are

RUU - this is a full system file. similar to an SBF for motorolas except it is applied directly from the phone...no RSD like program needed. it will return your phone to an unrooted state. it wipes data. there is the stock RUU, MR1 RUU and MR2 ruu available
S-OFF - security off...meaning you have root...i believe
S-ON - just the opposite
HBOOT - this is used to flash the RUU. once the PG05IMG file is placed on the sd card, booting into HBOOT will find the file and ask you to install. you also install radios for your ROM through HBOOT.
fastboot - i have no idea.

once you find the OEM software RUU, you just rename to PG05IMG.zip, place on root of SD card, boot into HBOOT and flash. this gets rid of root.

as for rooting, i used the "one click" auto root process over at android centrals forums. but there are the manual ADB ways of rooting as well.

thelopenator

Reaction score
i know fastboot is a option in hboot that gives you a few differnt booting options but im not sure if it goes more in depth than that.

you should deffinately root tho. there are ways to go back to stock