Looking for advice on automating wifi/4g management

gsscooter

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr M running JB on Verizon, and I am wondering if it's possible to accomplish the following:

I have two remembered wifi connections - home and work. When I am at either of those locations, I would like wifi enabled and connected and 4G disabled. When I am out of range of either of those networks, I want wifi disabled and 4G enabled.

I've tried several different apps, with and without Smart Actions, and am unable to achieve this. Is this scenario possible? If so, please let me know what I'm missing and what I need to do.

Thanks.

doniago

Reaction score
I would think Smart Actions can do this on its own... I've got mine set to toggle wireless based on my location.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Agreed. Motorola Smart Action should do this. Use the Location as your trigger.

How do you have the Smart Actions set up?

OP
G

gsscooter

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I will try setting up the actions to use a location trigger. Do I need to have standalone GPS enabled all day for this to work or would Google location services suffice? I just want to make sure I'm maximizing battery life.

I recall previously when I tried setting up actions to enable/disable wifi, the actions would save ok but then the app would produce an error on the Wifi portion. I'm hoping that has been fixed.

OP
G

gsscooter

Reaction score
As expected, using Smart Actions alone did not work. In fact, when I arrived at work this morning, the location services thought I was home and enabled the home rule instead. Brilliant, that.

So, I tried installing Smart Wifi Toggler to try and get this scenario of mine to work. And now when I try to change my work action to turn off mobile data, I see that the Set Mobile Data option is actually not enabled for me to select.

It is such a huge shame that Smart Actions wastes its potential for being a really great and useful app with such crap execution.

huskur

Reaction score
It's not necessary. Connect to your wifi at home and when at work connect to wifi at least once. These connections will become "remembered" connections.

Just leave your wifi on and it will automatically connect to the respective connections and when you leave the limits of the connections your 4G will automatically take over and wifi will shut off. Once back into your home or office wifi limit your phone will notice it and connect.

Try it......it works like that on all Moto devices I have had and my Samsung devices also.

OP
G

gsscooter

Reaction score
Just leave your wifi on and it will automatically connect to the respective connections and when you leave the limits of the connections your 4G will automatically take over and wifi will shut off. Once back into your home or office wifi limit your phone will notice it and connect.

But won't the battery drain quicker if wifi is left on the entire day?

doniago

Reaction score
If this is a workday-related scenario, then you could set a Smart Action to toggle your wireless based on a schedule. That would minimize the excess battery usage.

huskur

Reaction score
But won't the battery drain quicker if wifi is left on the entire day?

I would say that you will not notice much difference at all. It just randomly checks wifi while it is on. Its not like it is constantly on. When it finds a signal it alerts you if it is unknown if it is trusted (remembered are trusted) it will auto connect

Redsnk95

Reaction score
As expected, using Smart Actions alone did not work. In fact, when I arrived at work this morning, the location services thought I was home and enabled the home rule instead. Brilliant, that.

So, I tried installing Smart Wifi Toggler to try and get this scenario of mine to work. And now when I try to change my work action to turn off mobile data, I see that the Set Mobile Data option is actually not enabled for me to select.

It is such a huge shame that Smart Actions wastes its potential for being a really great and useful app with such crap execution.

Do you by chance have your addresses backwards for Home & Work?

OP
G

gsscooter

Reaction score
I will try leaving wifi on all day and see what the battery drain is like. If it's not too bad, then I guess that's the solution, and I'll use SA to set up actions triggered by connection to the corresponding network.