Long Term Owners: Signal Strength, 4G Connections, Dropped Calls?

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I am set on getting a Razr Maxx HD and I'm thinking my wife would like the Razr M. There's been a lot of discussion here (and elsewhere) about the alleged problems with the Razr M holding a 4G signal or not having as strong of a radio as the Razr HD or Razr Maxx HD. I tested these three phones for signal strength inside the Verizon store a couple weeks ago and the Razr and Maxx were receiving signals better than the M as they sat side-by-side tethered to the countertop.

So I'm wondering if those owners that have had this phone for a couple of months would comment on your experiences with signal strength, 4G connection, dropped calls. Are you happy with the device's ability to connect to 4G? Do you get better or worse reception than your previous phone in similar locations? Have you experienced dropped calls?

Finally, if you've installed Jelly Bean, did it improve your signal strength?

bmetelsky

Reaction score
I've had zero problems with my Razr M. No dropped calls, no problems with 4G connection, etc.

DroidDoes13

Reaction score
Mine does not hold down a 4g signal as well as my Thunderbolt but I get great signal for phone calls.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I also get great phone signal, no dropped calls and no dropped data. Even in a weak 4g area that I'm in almost every day, the connection may slow down a bit but when it switches off to 3g, it is seamless.

Nyguy7

Reaction score
The internet has been good, but I am have been dropping calls left and right in the past 3 weeks.. I have heard this was due to hurricane Sandy,
as I live in the NYC area.. Not sure if that's really the case.. We shall see. However when I am holding a call, the other persons voice sounds very realistic, much more so then the S3 ..

OP
PowrDroid

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Went to Verizon with the wife yesterday with no preconditions, no suggestions, just take a look at the phones. She gravitated to the Razr HD and Galaxy S3 (I think she went to the S3 because she has seen the ads and knew the name.) She liked the Razr M but liked the bigger screen and bigger keyboard for texting on the HD.

While there I tested the signal strength of the Razr M when tethered to the countertop and also when holding in my hand. When untouched on the countertop the signal was -66 dbm; when I picked it up it dropped to -83 dbm. So I guess she's getting the Razr HD.

Spey

Reaction score
Razr M in my mind is the perfect size for a phone (4.3" screen in such a small, light package - hard to believe it's that large, but a measure confirms). Actually I think the phone is too thin, but this is a good thing because with a protective case on it it's just right imho ... (unlike most other phones that become just too big for the pocket). Sounds like you wife is looking for a purse-sized phone (hard to argue with that Razr HD from the offerings on the shelf today ..., but would prefer a Maxx-cap Battery on a phone with that large a screen).

My current Razr M in use for around 3-weeks use now (couple weeks running ICS then around a week switch to running OTA JB 4.1.1)

After installing JB:
Battery life has improved noticeably.
Phone Signal Strength has not changed (monitoring dbm reading at various locations before vs. after - no call dropping until exceeding -100dbm). In hand can be -101 and improve to -89dbm from just moving hand from back of phone.
WiFi connectivity seems to be about the same (upgraded WiFi router prior to JB made made large improvement).

4G / 3G Signal Strength has not changed.
Where we live the Verizon overlay map illustrating coverage seems to be pretty accurate (within 1-block plus/minus where it says we should have 4G and connection seems to agree). Also, the coverage map illustrating where we should expect 4G inside and outside buildings also seems to be fairly accurate. The 3G Map seems to be a bit less accurate (map illustrates blanket coverage in areas where we have unacceptable 3G Coverage). Take a look at teh map, zoom in to street level veiw in areas you want to check, toggle back and forth between 3G/4G/Wireless.

I am noticing a few glitches post JB, hope for update (4.1.2, 4.2.x, etc.) that sorts this out. For the most part phone runs better overall.

Hope this helps,

thenicestguy24

Reaction score
Same here, great phone, no issues aside from android OS issues. But don't have another Verizon 4g phone to compare it to side by side on signal strength.

Just like user above. JB isn't ready for primetime, in my opinion.