Locking Keyboard + Volume Rocker when Screen is Off

Tzabar

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Droid Pro and disabled the lockscreen through Battery Indicator Pro. I wake up the phone using the side button. Awesome setup, BUT:

The keyboard and volume rocker also wake up the phone (esp the keyboard when in my pocket). It's killing my battery life by keeping the display running unnecessarily. I even had to turn off screebl - put my phone in my bag, turned itself on, happened to be in the right angle, screebl kept screen on till it died.

All that having been said - does anyone have any suggestions or know of any apps or tricks that will disable the keyboard from waking up the phone?

I really appreciate it.

weereew

Reaction score
to wake up the phone using side button, you dont need any software,uninstall it
just use RE to modify the last line of file /system/usr/keylayout/cdma_venus2-keypad.kl like below:

PHP:
key 246 SIDE WAKE

save and exit and reboot

now u can use the side button to wake the phone up

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Droid Pro and disabled the lockscreen through Battery Indicator Pro. I wake up the phone using the side button. Awesome setup, BUT:

The keyboard and volume rocker also wake up the phone (esp the keyboard when in my pocket). It's killing my battery life by keeping the display running unnecessarily. I even had to turn off screebl - put my phone in my bag, turned itself on, happened to be in the right angle, screebl kept screen on till it died.

All that having been said - does anyone have any suggestions or know of any apps or tricks that will disable the keyboard from waking up the phone?

I really appreciate it.
I assume you don't have root. If correct, there is an app called Screen Off FX. It places an icon on your home screen that when touched will turn your screen off. To wake the phone you have to press the volume rocker...that is the only way to wake your screen unless you press the power button. I assume it works the same way if you are rooted.

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
jpcalhoun (and to the community at large),

Thanks for the answer. Two questions: will shutting off the screen from the power button activate the application? Can the side button be programmed to work instead of the volume rocker?

That having been said, I plan to root my phone in the very near future. I've been waiting for a Gingerbread OTA update... but it just isn't coming. So, I guess I'll have to go the TBH route? Either way, once I do get my phone rooted and up to Gingerbread, is there a better option than Screen Off FX?

Thank you all.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
jpcalhoun (and to the community at large),

Thanks for the answer. Two questions: will shutting off the screen from the power button activate the application? Can the side button be programmed to work instead of the volume rocker?

That having been said, I plan to root my phone in the very near future. I've been waiting for a Gingerbread OTA update... but it just isn't coming. So, I guess I'll have to go the TBH route? Either way, once I do get my phone rooted and up to Gingerbread, is there a better option than Screen Off FX?

Thank you all.
I don't know if you can program the side button to turn the screen on or not...I'll give it a try and see. I hear what you're saying about the OTA update to GB. If you're going to root your phone anyway you can update to GB in two different ways right now. TBH has an update that enables you to move from Froyo to a rooted GB in a two step process. The other way is to update to GB using the "captured" Verizon OTA update that was pulled...that update file is available for download and instruction on this forum, then use a "one click" method explained at this link:Pete's Motorola Root Tools. There are a couple of threads regarding this method to root GB on the forum also.

OP
T

Tzabar

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!

Regarding the two Gingerbread/root options:
1) I found the "captured" Gingerbread zip you were talking about. How do I go about updating my phone with said file (do I just sbf it using the motorola software?)?
2) What should I use to root my phone if I go the TBH route? z4root is no longer an option...
3) As for choosing between the two methods... I know option #1 has Gingerbread version 2.3.3. Is the TBH version newer? Would I be able to OTA update either once I have them installed and rooted?

Thanks!