ListPro (Custom Lists) type application?

wtherrell

Reaction score
CheckMark To Do List Manager Pro

Guy at the golf club had this on his DX and it looked really good. Said he used to use ListPro and this was the closest thing he has found.
I could not find that you had checked it out yet. So maybe?
Dang, I got my Fascinate but still using the old Omnia as a PDA because of ListPro. Hope Checkmark is what we are looking for.

GunnySpook

Reaction score
Checkmark vs. Listwizard?

ListWizard seem s like it's targeted more at the ListPro functionality..... (ability to import ListPro lists? Really?)

The Gunny

wtherrell

Reaction score
Checkmark vs. Listwizard?

ListWizard seem s like it's targeted more at the ListPro functionality..... (ability to import ListPro lists? Really?)

The Gunny
Hmm. Didn't see ListWizard. I'll google it and see what turns up. Well, it shows up in Appbrain but greanbeansoft website did not mention it. Did not see anything about importing ListPro lists but that would be tremendous!

rodh

Reaction score
Just a quickie since i just stumbled onto this thread; have you looked at Shopping List Plus? After defecting from Windows & ListPro, i've ended up using multiple task/list programs. Shopping List Plus for shopping, GTasks Full for everyday things to do (syncs with Google Tasks - not that Google Tasks is that great...) and Action Complete for serious stuff.

tpearsall

Reaction score
Heh, when I bought my iPhone Ilium didn't think they were going to port ListPro to it so I bought something else reluctantly. As I buy my droid I see they they just released ListPro on iPhone and "they don't think they'll release for droid". They're killing me, at least we have the eWallet viewer. Great products, I've owned them on 3 or 4 different platforms at this point.

wtherrell

Reaction score
Recent update to CheckMark Pro allows importation of .csv files. I have already exported several of my ListPro lists and imported them into CheckMark successfully. Neither CheckMark or ListWizard has quite the deep capabilities of ListPro but I am getting along OK with it now.

jyellowmomo

Reaction score
Feature Spreadsheet

On this podcast, Podcast #450: Networked & Set Top Box Master List from the HDTV & Home Theater Podcast podcast
Verionica Belmont started a google spreadsheet that lists features of set top boxes and let anyone edit it: https://spreadsheets1.google.com/cc...uthkey=CMWSqM8P&hl=en&authkey=CMWSqM8P#gid=28

Sure would be nice if we had one for Android list apps, so I started one and made some quick entries. Anyone else want to help with it?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...mlzM1B0U1FKU1VmM1E3M3c&hl=en&authkey=CO-G44cD

breevesdc

Reaction score
@pwjone1: Thank you for starting this thread and all of the research you did and contributions from others that you inspired.

After a lot of reading in this thread and a lot of my own research, I settled on Checkmark Pro. It is the closest I was able to find to ListPro which I have been using for almost 6 years now. Specifically, I was looking for an app that allows you to create reusable lists with the ability to flag & check and "show/hide flagged only" and "show/hide checked only".

One disappointment... Checkmark seems to only allow you to show/hide checked or show/hide flagged. It does not appear to allow you to use those options together (in combination). For example, show flagged only and show unchecked only. I used to use ListPro this way. I would flag all of the items I wanted to pack for a trip. And choose "show flagged only" to hide all of the items I was not planning to pack. Then I would choose "show unchecked only" to make things disappear from the list as I packed them and checked them off the list.

Another disappointment... I miss the ability to synchronize between my PC and my mobile. I have all of my lists in Checkmark on my mobile phone. But what if I lose my phone? Then everything is lost. I know that I could do backups of my Checkmark database. But remembering to do that every few months instead of just having automatic synchronization to a desktop (or web-based) application is an inferior solution IMHO. Checkmark has the ability to synchronize to Google Calendar. But since I don't use it as a ToDo list, I don't put dates on the list items. And without dates, I do not believe they will sync to a calendar. I use this as a List Manager (grocery list, packing list, movies I want to see list, etc.) not a ToDo list.

If anyone has any ideas of an app that supports list management in a similar manner to ListPro and also has synchronization to a respective desktop or cloud-based app, I'd be very curious to hear about it. For now, I will continue with Checkmark and dream about ListPro developing an Android app. Thanks everyone.

Brian

momomo

Reaction score
I read this topic with interest, because I was an early purchaser of ListPro and still use it on my old :palm:.
I use all it's features and am sad to know that there seem to be no comparable alternative on the market.

I think that an app like ListPro with both desktop and web synk will be a killer application for me.
My brain work by list and tries always to decompose a complex concept in a hierarchical view of smaller one, so ListPro is an irreplaceable companion of my brain.

I never moved to ListPro for WM for a simple reason: no record level sync.
Record Level sync is mandatory to not have a list just to track where you added modifications to you lists :p

My old Palm is still in my bag for ListPro only, make a ListPro (very) like application with record level sync with other devices (over the wire or the LAN) and over the web and I'll give my Palm the rest it deserves :laugh:

Last edited:

khodadad

Reaction score
HanDBase mini review

Hi,
As I have found this thread very helpful in my search for an Android ListPro replacement, I am returning the favour by posting a HanDBase review, which is the software I have finally selected.
First the conclusion, just in case you are in a hurry :) : From my point of view this is the only app that compares with ListPro.
Now for the details. I am reviewing the Android version (there are versions for may platforms and I'm not sure if the feature set is the same in all of them).

One important point to know is that the two products approach (or origin) is different, and this shapes the final product:
  • ListPro is a list management software, and is strengths come from the Checkbox/Flag/… visualization and quick and useful interface.
  • HanDBase is a database software and its strengths come from the data management area.

This said, as both products have grown over the years they have come to be very similar, but this original approach still permeates and this have both advantages and problems. For example
  • Filtering a list in Listpro is very quick: you just click the filter bar. In Handbase you need to build a view (which is fast, but not as fast as clicking a button). As a reward, the View remains there for later use.
  • In HanDBase you can link databases (which can't be done in Listpro. There exists even a a pro version which can use forms (but I haven't checked it because I don't need it and it isn't available for the moment for Android).
  • ListPro interface is "nicer".
  • Data management and linking is more powerful in HanDBase.
Pros and Cons of HanDBase (in may cases compared to ListPro)

Pros
  • Huge list of features (just go on reading)
  • Desktop companion and synchronizing
  • Views. You can not only filter but also tell what fields you want, which is very powerful. You can build a list (database) with lots of fields and build a view in which only some of them appear. A typical example is a shopping list in which you put several columns but when you go shopping only the checkbox and the Item name appear (you don't need for example the aisle number if you have ordered the list by aisle number).
  • CSV import in the desktop companion (I have successfully imported some of my 100+ items and 10+ columns lists without problem)
  • Multiplatform
  • Ability to link databases
  • Total field customization. All kind of field types (String, number, date, time, linked field, Note, calculated, conditional, selection,...)
  • Calculated fields (with a quite powerful engine)
  • Popups for every field, which is used to store the more commonly used values. Examples of this: Publisher for books, Shops for shopping. You can store even numbers for the quantity field of a shopping list (faster than using the keyboard).
  • Simple to access search. It is as simple as it should be. You select a "quick search" field and in any view you can use an input field to do the search, which ultrafastly shows you the fields.
  • Any number of databases/lists

Cons
  • Simple user interface.
    • No symbols for check, flag. No three way (traffic light) symbol, no stars… Only checkboxes
    • No editing in place (although you can check in place)
      [*]You can't scroll horizontally in a view (that is, you need to enter the item to see it completely). This is somehow solved by creating views for specific purposes, with the information you need in place.
  • No hierarchical lists (I used them with Listpro in some cases, but I can live without them)
  • No filter bar (but filtering is powerful, see views above)
  • No active fields (phone, URLs,…). I don't use them anyway.
  • No lite version. You need to buy it to evaluate it. Anyway, if you download the desktop version you can have a very good idea of the Android features, as they are nearly identical. The lack of a lite version is one of the reasons I am posting this review here.
  • Expensive. It is not so much money ($10 as the time of writing), specially considering the feature set, but it is more expensive than the other alternatives. Moreover if you add the Desktop Companion (an app in itself).
  • Notes limited to 254 chars with no images and not rich text in notes
  • No cloud saving (this is not a big problem, as you can sync with the desktop, but it seems a little outdated at this moment).
  • The desktop companion software (I am using the Windows version), although powerful, seems quite old. Definitely no Office 2010 interface.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

DownloadAndroid

Reaction score
Recent update to CheckMark Pro allows importation of .csv files. I have already exported several of my ListPro lists and imported them into CheckMark successfully. Neither CheckMark or ListWizard has quite the deep capabilities of ListPro but I am getting along OK with it now.

Yeah, this one is great I think

mostlyDigital

Reaction score
Regarding ListPro prospects on Android and their blog entry-
Except that there's nothing later than November, 2010.
I don't have high hopes for ListPro on Android. They haven't made the commitment and with apps less than $20 I don't think they'll make the effort.
I'm disappointed that it seems that they haven't run the volume numbers to see what their total sales would add up to.

Last edited:

mostlyDigital

Reaction score

Yeah, this one is great I think

I'm now using Checkmark Pro (which cost (just) a couple of bucks).
It supports hierarchical lists, templates and checkmarks, sorting and flags.
I exported my ListPro lists to CSV and massaged them a bit then imported them as Checkmark lists.

The key is to not expect a clone. Look for a tool that you can adapt your job to work with. Once I got over the awkwardness of having to go into edit mode to set and clear flags I was up and running.

As others have pointed out there isn't a 1:1 match for the feature set. It's (like life) a question of noting the tradeoffs, looking at your priorities and jumping in or walking away.

Just remember, the free version is missing a lot of the Pro version's better features.

Eloc

Reaction score
just a quick update/confirmation....

Received this Friday in response to an email I sent them Thursday night.

"Thank you for contacting Ilium Software. ListPro and NewsBreak aren't available for Android and I don't know if we will be developing them.

You can't directly convert eWallet 3.1 data to eWallet GO!, but you can do it. You need to install eWallet 7 first and update your wallet file with it, and then you can transfer it to eWallet GO!. You don't need to buy eWallet 7. You can use the trial version:

<snip rest of email>

Kevin of Iliumsoft "

drdogg

Reaction score
iRT GTasks Outliner

This relatively new app ticks all the boxes for me.
Drag-and-drop sorting, hierarchy, and sync with Google Tasks.