[LIST] Droid 2/D2G Cases w/ Prices

zukeypur

Reaction score
Has anyone actually ordered the otterbox from Amazon? I think that's the one I'm leaning towards, but the reviews on the listing don't look good.

zero7404

Reaction score
Has anyone actually ordered the otterbox from Amazon? I think that's the one I'm leaning towards, but the reviews on the listing don't look good.

i did. initially that item on amazon was available b4 the case came out and the seller displayed the old droid case picture.
i let amazon know about it ... they got the seller to correct it.
it is in fact the d2/d2g otterbox commuter case. why go pay 10$ more to otterbox .... the seller on amazon included a money back satisfaction garantee just as good as otterbox' terms.

posted via android

Reaction score
i did. initially that item on amazon was available b4 the case came out and the seller displayed the old droid case picture.
i let amazon know about it ... they got the seller to correct it.
it is in fact the d2/d2g otterbox commuter case. why go pay 10$ more to otterbox .... the seller on amazon included a money back satisfaction garantee just as good as otterbox' terms.

eBay has some good prices too. I just ordered one for $24.

I originally got a Wrapsol Ultra for my Droid R2-D2, to show off that awesome back design. I'm starting to think that my phone needs better protection than a thin plastic film, however... plus, the Wrapsol has started to peel off in two spots, and on the whole I don't really like the look of the Wrapsol on my phone. There goes $26 (I had a coupon) down the drain, from the moment I peel it off (since I'm pretty sure it's not remountable after having been on my phone for several weeks).

zero7404

Reaction score
I originally got a Wrapsol Ultra for my Droid R2-D2, to show off that awesome back design. I'm starting to think that my phone needs better protection than a thin plastic film, however... plus, the Wrapsol has started to peel off in two spots, and on the whole I don't really like the look of the Wrapsol on my phone. There goes $26 (I had a coupon) down the drain, from the moment I peel it off (since I'm pretty sure it's not remountable after having been on my phone for several weeks).

protective films usually peel over time ... i've had an invisible shield for a blackberry and the edges accumulate stuff ....

best way to go for you would be a clear hardshell if you want the phone's design to be visible.

i used to be into that, now i just cover the whole thing with a good case & keep it in as new as possible condition till it's time to buy a new device ...

Reaction score
best way to go for you would be a clear hardshell if you want the phone's design to be visible.

I've heard negative things about those clear plastic cases. And I'm enough of a klutz that I think I would be better off with the best protection that I can find, which seems to be the Otterbox.

(My last phone was a Gz'one, and it lasted me more than five years. It really was indestructible, though it did start to have minor problems in the last year or so. It became sort of a bad joke, actually, that I would keep throwing it on the floor to demonstrate how indestructible it was, all the time hoping that it would break so I would have an excuse to buy a new phone. Of course, I finally decided to get a new phone anyway... an Android phone, no less... and I don't regret it!)

zero7404

Reaction score

I've heard negative things about those clear plastic cases. And I'm enough of a klutz that I think I would be better off with the best protection that I can find, which seems to be the Otterbox.

(My last phone was a Gz'one, and it lasted me more than five years. It really was indestructible, though it did start to have minor problems in the last year or so. It became sort of a bad joke, actually, that I would keep throwing it on the floor to demonstrate how indestructible it was, all the time hoping that it would break so I would have an excuse to buy a new phone. Of course, I finally decided to get a new phone anyway... an Android phone, no less... and I don't regret it!)

the most rugged smart-phones i have seen to date are blackberries. although they are all plastic, they are designed really well. rule of thumb is if it's a business tool (think Dell Latitude, HP Elitebook), likely it's going to be built to last.

motorola's phones are consumer grade, not business grade. even though there's some metal in the chassis, i do not doubt that if i dropped it, it may never be the same again. if someone comes forth with experience dropping this phone, i'd like to hear ....

there is an alternative to the otterbox commuter -- the seidio innocase active. both have rubber liners. but the reason i chose otterbox is because it completely seals the phones and usb ports. so in case some liquid spills around it, i don't have to worry about those ports. in the case of complete liquid spill on a device, pull the battery and put the device in a bowl of rice for a few days ...

Reaction score
the most rugged smart-phones i have seen to date are blackberries. although they are all plastic, they are designed really well. rule of thumb is if it's a business tool (think Dell Latitude, HP Elitebook), likely it's going to be built to last.

I briefly considered getting a Blackberry when I decided to get a smartphone, and dismissed it in favor of Android pretty quickly. One of the (many) reasons I decided to get a smartphone was so I could learn to develop apps for it (might as well put that computer science degree to use, right, even if I'm currently working as a collaborative pianist), and I would much rather develop software for an open platform like Android than for a platform that seems to be falling gradually out of favor.

zero7404

Reaction score

I briefly considered getting a Blackberry when I decided to get a smartphone, and dismissed it in favor of Android pretty quickly. One of the (many) reasons I decided to get a smartphone was so I could learn to develop apps for it (might as well put that computer science degree to use, right, even if I'm currently working as a collaborative pianist), and I would much rather develop software for an open platform like Android than for a platform that seems to be falling gradually out of favor.

i agree .... although blackberry is still a nice OS its a shame it hasnt really evolved as well as the others. regardless, its pretty interesting to see there is still a following/faithful crowd that doesnt tire after all tjese years of the same thing

posted via android

zero7404

Reaction score
so much for testing out the otterbox. dropped from about 2 ft onto rubberized/linoleum floor. screen bezel came off and cracked along entire bottom tab.

fone is ok tho :)

posted via android

Reaction score
so much for testing out the otterbox. dropped from about 2 ft onto rubberized/linoleum floor. screen bezel came off and cracked along entire bottom tab.

Ack!!! At least your phone's okay, which I guess means the Otterbox did its job! :icon_eek:

zero7404

Reaction score
main body did fine. just not impressed that this product didnt survive even 4 days

posted via android