Linux Mint

ambrown

Reaction score
Hey all, what are your thoughts on Linux Mint? I've been using it for about a year and I'm liking it so far. I've tried other distros but I keep coming back to Mint. I think it's because cinnamon is one of my favorite desktops around.

So, do you use Mint?, Some other distro? Or are you a total noob and are looking to get into Linux?

Begin discussion!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
I tried out Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon and I thought it was okay. I've been rather searching around to find just what the right distro is for me. I tend to find Ubuntu a bit too annoying, but I have enjoyed Fedora 17 which I installed over last summer after testing out Zorin Ultimate. I also liked Pinguy and OpenSUSE. I know I am all over the place in testing out this and that. While I hate to admit it and all of those mentioned were dual-boots, I just can't find something that can accomplish more than Windows. I utter in disgust when I say that, but it just seems like there is so much software and programs that are just made for Windows, and whether trying Wine or Crossover or any other hack else there is, it's difficult to replicate what this Windows does. As much as I want to convert my entire drive over to a distro to run full-time, it's just not possible. So these distros are to me, more of an entertainment value, so I change around try something else that is new, never sticking to something, because something else is new or just updated comes along and I can try that out. Any thoughts?

OP
ambrown

ambrown

Reaction score
Well it's been a while but I'm still a fan of Mint. Cinnamon? Well that's a live/hate relationship right now. Cinnamon is hands down one of the handsomest Linux desktops out there. But it's also very unstable. I have 5 or 6 crashes of Cinnamon every day. And unlike Windows it doesn't auto restart when it does crash. I've also tried restarting in the shell but haven't been successful, thus multiple reboots have become the norm.

Which is sad because otherwise Mint is a champ and I can get stuff working better than in Ubuntu. Hopefully Cinnamon will get better too, because other than its instability it's my favorite desktop.