Lighted Icons at Bottom of phone

regor3

Reaction score
The four icons at the bottom of the phone below the Verizon emblem (Menu, home, return and search) sometimes are lighted up and easy to see but often they are dark. Sometimes if I hold the phone horizontal they tend to light up and sometimes it seems they are lit when in the vertical position. In short its driving me batty. :)

Is it my phone or is there is some reason and logic to when they light up and when they don't?

I have upgraded to ICS and then did a soft reset and and clearing of cache. When I first got the and was running GB they never lit and now they do at times and then they don't.

Thanks

Squeak87

Reaction score
Never heard of anyone with this issue before. How long have you had your Maxx? It may be a manufacturer defect.

(DR0ID RAZ® M@XX)

obxKevin

Reaction score
They work via the ambient light sensor. Cover the sensor with a finger, watch what happens...

OP
R

regor3

Reaction score
Never heard of anyone with this issue before. How long have you had your Maxx? It may be a manufacturer defect.

(DR0ID RAZ® M@XX)

I have had it about 12 days.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
regor3 said:
Ok...but where's the light sensor. :blink:

The little circle to the left of the front speaker at the top of the phone.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
They work as someone said via sensor. The little holes at the top left are your sensors. If it's what the phone perceives as dark then they light up. If it's bright they won't.

You can test this with a dark room or by covering it.

Squeak87

Reaction score
I would test the light sensor like these good people suggest, if it doesn't work I would call Verizon or Asurion if you have insurance and explain the issue to them.

(DR0ID RAZ® M@XX)

OP
R

regor3

Reaction score
Aha

OK I found the light sensor and it appears to be working ok. It does turn on and off while sitting in this room depending on how I hold it and it seems there is more than adequate light in the room. But if I hold it so the lights are off and put my finger over the sensor the lights will come on. So I guess it working as designed.

Thanks to all who responded. :biggrin:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Are there apps to control this? Seems like LED something?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You can test the functionality of your light sensor and all of your other sensors with androsensor.. try it.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Klong

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the Maxx . Was resolved when I switched from the Otterbox defender to Diztronic TPU case and Steinhall Ultra Crystal screen protector. The screen protector on the OB causes some issues.