Liberty battery life in droid bionic

RSC450

Reaction score
Isn't the liberty rom supposed to extend the battery life of the Droid Bionic? I flashed the rom and my battery seems to be going fast than before, standard non extended battery. Any tweaks someone can fill me in on to get some more life out of the stock battery because I'm really liking the liberty rom but wish my battery would last longer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

killiansnando

Reaction score
you boot your phone into recovery mode and go to advanced then wipe battery stats

OP
R

RSC450

Reaction score
you boot your phone into recovery mode and go to advanced then wipe battery stats[/QUOTE

Hey thanks for the tip. I will give it a try and see if it works. Should I let the battery get low,wipe,then charge fully Or does it not matter, just wipe and I'm good to go.

killiansnando

Reaction score
charge it full and unplug it then reboot into recovery wipe the stats and let it die all the way before u charge it again and make sure you charge it all the way. this should help.

pabtheghost

Reaction score
pardon the n00bocity, but im curious:

back in the day there were huge warnings against charging devices before they were fully drained because the battery would create some sort of memory, and then not charge fully in the future. is this the same issue that gets addressed when you wipe battery stats, or is it a different thing altogether?

nateohio

Reaction score
What you are referring to is the battery memory issue that was prevalent in nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride batterys. The issue thats being addressed with this procedure is kind of similar but its a software issue where the issue with NiCad and NiMH batteries was a physical hardware issue.

What happens when a phone boots and charges to full for the first time, a file is created that tells the phone where the 100% mark is. This usually isn't an issue until you start flashing custom roms at different battery levels. Some custom roms replace the battery file, some dont and this can create issues. You can typically avoid the issue by always flashing when you're already at 100%.

Personally, I calibrate the battery every time I flash a different rom using an app called "Battery Calibration" in the market. I just did it a few days after I flashed 2.0 and immediately noticed a difference in battery life and reporting.

I've attached the screen shot I took this morning after being off the charger since 10AM yesterday morning. This is with 4G, bluetooth and GPS on because I was trying to burn through the battery. What makes it even more remarkable is that I spent about 5 hours yesterday from 10-3pm in a no signal area and let the radios search for a signal the whole time. Then I had to play HD video off of youtube for 20-30 minutes this morning just to burn through the last 25% off the battery before putting it back on the charger, so I could have a charged phone for work today. View attachment 43025

OP
R

RSC450

Reaction score
Well I must be doing something wrong lol. I had to charge my phone 2 times today. I wiped stats after flashing Liberty 1.0 and I can't say my battery life has improved any but I love the ROM. I also have all my GPS etc..etc.. disabled and I do not run any Widgets except the Google search bar. Are you on. 886 or. 893? How do you like the new 2.0. I was thinking of flashing it but I am liking 1.0 besides the battery issue.

pabtheghost

Reaction score
thanks nate, you have been really really helpful. this battery calibration app looks super promising

nateohio

Reaction score
Well I must be doing something wrong lol. I had to charge my phone 2 times today. I wiped stats after flashing Liberty 1.0 and I can't say my battery life has improved any but I love the ROM. I also have all my GPS etc..etc.. disabled and I do not run any Widgets except the Google search bar. Are you on. 886 or. 893? How do you like the new 2.0. I was thinking of flashing it but I am liking 1.0 besides the battery issue.

How are you calibrating? I've never been a fan of the recovery method and I've had really good results with the app I mentioned. To answer your questions, I'm running the .893 baseband and kernal with the .886 build. I've been using liberty ROMS since the early D2 days and trust me, any time the have an incremental upgrade it's always worth it to upgrade. They are not like the devs that release updates for every little issue that pops up. More often than not, I'm running a test build/nightlie and have very few issues even in beta phase.

Also, sometimes you just need to let the ROM settle in for a few days. I don't know why, but battery life always seems to get better after a week or so.

Last edited:

dannyxiii

Reaction score
Hey, just posting a battery usage pic...
I'm going to say this is light usage on my phone. (Texting, few phone calls, and a couple of youtube vids,and browsing web for a bit)

Phone is equipped with the extended battery, but the trick is turning of the data when not in use. I only turned it on when I needed it, like checking email/watching YouTube/browsing web).

As you can see Bionic + Liberty + Extended Battery = Amazingly Awesome Results!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pabtheghost

Reaction score
^he’s got it right. turning off the data is a huge deal. i got a day and 7 hours off a charge on the regular battery with moderate-light usage

Smrzzy

Reaction score
I had the original droid and rooted for better performance. I am now in my 4th month with the Bionic, extended battery and have not rooted since i go a day with one charge. If ICS doesn't come soon I may get impatient and root. : )

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

monkeywrench14

Reaction score
battery calibration app.

I know someone already mentioned this but i was having the same problem, but as soon as i charged my phone to 100% then used the battery calibration app then unplugged my bionic my phone lasted for about a day and a half of light usage. I am also running on .901 so that might help as well. Also when i flash a rom i usually let it sit for about 15 min. before i even touch it, somehow it helps a lot. hope this helps you.