LG's Android Flip Phone Goes International; Still No US Release Though

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-wine-smart.jpg

At the end of last month we shared an intriguing device that's a throwback to the early days of cell phones, yet is still an Android. LG made an Android flip phone for the South Korean market called the LG Gentle. The good news we have to share today is that the fancy little retro device has gone international and has a new name for those markets. It is called the LG Wine Smart, and it's basically the exact same device as the LG Gentle, but is meant for France, Italy, Poland, Spain, Kazakhstan, Japan and the United Kingdom.

Sadly, if you note the omissions in that list, it becomes painfully obvious that there is still no US (or even a western hemisphere) version. Perhaps if it sells well it can continue its march and make it across the pond. Here are a breakdown of specs for this curious little oddity:
  • 3.2-inch touchscreen with 480 x 320 pixels resolution
  • Typical buttons found on a clamshell device
  • Quad-core 1.1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 210 processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • 4GB internal memory (that can be expanded using a microSD card slot)
  • 3MP rear camera
  • VGA camera
  • 1700 mAh battery
  • LTE support
  • Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
As you can see, the internals are definitely of the budget-friendly variety. This could be a great device to help migrate our parents and grandparents off of their old dumb-phones...

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the full presser for the LG Wine Smart:

"NEW LG WINE SMART DELIVERS SMARTPHONE FEATURES WITH FAMILIAR FOLDER STYLE CONVENIENCE
Flip Phone with Android Lollipop Supports the Latest Apps and Multimedia Functions

SEOUL, Aug. 5, 2015 ― LG Electronics (LG) brings global consumers with its newest hybrid smartphone designed especially for a generation of users who are more accustomed to the feel of flip ― also known as folder or clamshell ― phones. Originally announced in the domestic Korean market as LG Gentle, the all-new LG Wine Smart will make its international debut later this month in target countries including France, Italy, Poland, Spain, Kazakhstan, Japan and the United Kingdom.

The Wine Smart combines the familiarity of a folder phone with an easy-to-use touchscreen and the connectivity and power of a smartphone. Thanks to the positive response to the original Wine Smart introduced in Korea last year, LG optimized the latest model with more advanced multimedia features to make the transition from feature phone to smartphone as seamless as possible.

The new LG Wine Smart is powered by Android Lollipop 5.1.1 to run the latest apps without complaint. To truly optimize the new Wine Smart for flip phone fans, LG included a large physical 3×4 numeric keypad for easy and accurate typing and hotkeys that provide instant access to frequently used features such as phone dialer, address book, text messages or camera. Larger-than-normal icons take full advantage of the 3×3 home screen layout on the crisp 3.2-inch HVGA display. The Wine Smart includes LG’s Safety Care feature which can be set to automatically transmit emergency alerts and real-time location to pre-selected contacts whenever the user needs immediate assistance.

“Our goal with LG Wine Smart was to create a smartphone that fans of flip phones could embrace,” said Chris Yie, vice president and head of marketing communications for LG Mobile Communications Company. “Consumers shouldn’t have to miss out on the smartphone revolution because they prefer a particular phone design over another. With LG Wine Smart, they won’t have to.”

Prices and carrier details will be announced locally at the time of launch."

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
My mom would love this. :D

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It would be cool if Carriers would allow two phones to have the same number. This would be a great phone to have with me when I am wearing a suit.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It would be cool if Carriers would allow two phones to have the same number. This would be a great phone to have with me when I am wearing a suit.
We have that here in Thailand.. 2 phones 1 number, but you can only have 1 phone turned on to send and receive calls.

UPDATE:

I just called my carrier and they tell me I can get a second SIM and both can be used simultaneously.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I find this phone oddly interesting despite the fact I haven't dialed a phone number from memory in years.