LG G4 Uses a Drone to Go Airborne for Some Great Video & Still Shots

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The above video was shared by LG themselves to show off the incredible capabilities of the on-board camera of their new G4 flagship Android smartphone. They strapped the phone to a drone and had it fly around Sydney, Australia taking video and still shots remotely.

LG didn't share how they managed to do the remote controlled shots on the phone, but the results of their magic are obvious. The still shots and video taken with the drone are impressive considering how much the device was moving. Sound off and let us know what you think of how LG's device handled this daunting task.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Hmmm...manual mode picture taken while in flight on a quadcopter. how'd they pull that off. And honestly, the video didn't look all that impressive. The photos, looked good though. Also, OIS...sorry, quads are pretty stable. I can get great video on my mobius taken from my quad.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nice. I want a G4. :(

I want to know what drone they used that has that kind of range.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This reminds me of what Samsung did with the Note 4. It's pretty amazing what technology has brought us so far!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Remote photos are easy to do with a smartwatch ;)
Wear Camera Remote app is just 1 example of how it can be done and with watches often being class 1 Bluetooth you can be quite a ways away and trigger shots.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't mean the camera remote. The drone. Some of those videos are pretty far from land. They must have been in a boat for those.

TapaTurbo

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A boat is certainly possible, but some of the high dollar drones have a pretty significant range.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Nice. I want a G4. :(

I want to know what drone they used that has that kind of range.

It looked like a DJI Inspire 1. But most professional grade drones have autonomous flight based on GPS points. For a 300-500 bucks, I can set up a transmitter/receiver system for video that can go well over a mile on the 900mHz band. Right now I use the 5.8ghz band because its much cheaper and the size of my quad.

Also, you can just set the phone to take a picture every 5 seconds and sort through a few hundred to find the good ones.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the video incorrect on the main news page until you actually click into the post? I'm getting a video of a modular phone haha

But, anyway, woww. That camera is gorgeous.