LG G4 Annihilates The Galaxy Note 5 In Speed Test!

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
I have had three Samsung phones: S3, S4 and Note 4 and I have NEVER used TouchWiz.

I don't understand all the hoopla about the LAUNCHER when they are easily changeable and there is no reason to "benchmark" the default ones.

Nova Launcher Pro and all three phones, so I never cared about TouchWiz at all.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have had three Samsung phones: S3, S4 and Note 4 and I have NEVER used TouchWiz.

I don't understand all the hoopla about the LAUNCHER when they are easily changeable and there is no reason to "benchmark" the default ones.

Nova Launcher Pro and all three phones, so I never cared about TouchWiz at all.
You do realize there's more to Touchwiz than just the launcher, right? The quick toggles in the status bar and several other features Smart Stay are all part of touchwiz.

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
You do realize there's more to Touchwiz than just the launcher, right? The quick toggles in the status bar and several other features Smart Stay are all part of touchwiz.
Ok, but comparing the "speed" of two different phones based on using TouchWiz on one is pointless in the case of using some other launcher is can and is being used.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok, but comparing the "speed" of two different phones based on using TouchWiz on one is pointless in the case of using some other launcher is can and is being used.
Not really. All of the things that Touchwiz adds take up resources. For smart stay to work, a bit of processing and batter power have to be redirected to the front camera to watch for your eyes. That's just one example, but there are lots of things in Touchwiz that are constantly monitoring what you're doing so they can provide helpful shortcuts and things. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying, when you've got a phone that's monitoring for certain input so that it can do something to help you and one that doesn't monitor like that, the one that doesn't monitor will theoretically have more resources available to do what you're actively trying to do.

It really has nothing to do with the launcher. As you said, that's easily replaced. I think if you were to root the Note 5 and completely take away those things that are using little bits of resources here and there, you'd find a much faster device.

This is a real world comparison, but if you really wanted to level the playing field and get to JUST which one has the better hardware, you'd want to root both and run the same ROM on each and load them up with all of the same apps.

Tests like this are all in good fun anyway.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't see it as an "annihilation". I mean really, who opens & instantly closes apps like that? But it was interesting nevertheless. I think DMX's point that the Note 5 could FC apps on purpose in order to save battery life makes sense.
As was mentioned before, two different manufacturers running two different skinned OS's, obviously they're going to manage memory different. I think the better test (using the OP's method above) would have been between the Note 4 & Note 5. That would make more sense to me personally.
And since we know you have both Shane....let's see it.

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
Not really. All of the things that Touchwiz adds take up resources. For smart stay to work, a bit of processing and batter power have to be redirected to the front camera to watch for your eyes. That's just one example, but there are lots of things in Touchwiz that are constantly monitoring what you're doing so they can provide helpful shortcuts and things. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying, when you've got a phone that's monitoring for certain input so that it can do something to help you and one that doesn't monitor like that, the one that doesn't monitor will theoretically have more resources available to do what you're actively trying to do.

It really has nothing to do with the launcher. As you said, that's easily replaced. I think if you were to root the Note 5 and completely take away those things that are using little bits of resources here and there, you'd find a much faster device.

This is a real world comparison, but if you really wanted to level the playing field and get to JUST which one has the better hardware, you'd want to root both and run the same ROM on each and load them up with all of the same apps.

Tests like this are all in good fun anyway.
I don't think that those additional features are really "TouchWiz", they are just Samsung extras that work with any launcher in certain applications.

That test is not "real world" for me, as I wouldn't be launching apps with TouchWiz.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So how far does the G4 go before it shuts apps down?

I don't have that many apps open, but it still shows how Samsung is more aggressive on app management. Maybe they should have just left it in the users hands.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think that those additional features are really "TouchWiz", they are just Samsung extras that work with any launcher in certain applications.

That test is not "real world" for me, as I wouldn't be launching apps with TouchWiz.
Touchwiz is not the name of the launcher. It's the name of the software and skin made by Samsung. It includes the launcher, sure, but it's not JUST the launcher.

TouchWiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
Touchwiz is not the name of the launcher. It's the name of the software and skin made by Samsung. It includes the launcher, sure, but it's not JUST the launcher.

TouchWiz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not disagreeing with that, but saying that a comparative test that uses the TouchWiz launcher is meaningless to those of us that use an alternative launcher.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not disagreeing with that, but saying that a comparative test that uses the TouchWiz launcher is meaningless to those of us that use an alternative launcher.
To a certain extent, maybe, but all the launcher really does is facilitate the initial opening of the app. He could run the same test with Nova launcher and the Note would still fall behind due to stopping apps that the LG keeps suspended or whatever they're doing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Note 4, but the launcher is definitely not the only factor. The only thing the launcher can truly be blamed for in this test is if there's lag when he first taps the icon to open an app. After that, it's all up to the system to open the app and/or keep it ready to come back to.

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
To a certain extent, maybe, but all the launcher really does is facilitate the initial opening of the app. He could run the same test with Nova launcher and the Note would still fall behind due to stopping apps that the LG keeps suspended or whatever they're doing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Note 4, but the launcher is definitely not the only factor. The only thing the launcher can truly be blamed for in this test is if there's lag when he first taps the icon to open an app. After that, it's all up to the system to open the app and/or keep it ready to come back to.
That behind the scenes app handling stuff is more likely not related to TouchWiz but is Android. They might configure it a little different, but that kind of thing is platform based (i.e., Android).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That behind the scenes app handling stuff is more likely not related to TouchWiz but is Android. They might configure it a little different, but that kind of thing is platform based (i.e., Android).
That's my whole point though. Not saying touchwiz handles running apps. I believe I said the system does that. But touchwiz runs on top of the system & takes up processor power, RAM, & etc on top of any apps you're running. If you remove touchwiz completely, those resources it's using could be reallocated to the apps running & it wouldn't have to shut then down completely so quick/often.

Caesars

Reaction score
Either way my iPhone just got turned into a note 5, now it's time for the g4 v note 5 real world comparison!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Caesars

Reaction score
I think Tim Cook just cried a little. Lol
JoD is awesome :), right back to the iPhone next month if I dislike.

I was never a fan of leasing, but man does jod make it easy lol.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk